How do you....

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 16, 2006 2:22 pm

After 33 days in cure, 3 days hanging by the emersion tank and well over a week hanging in the workshop 59%-66% RH, temp 16�C-20.5�C.. I note that it has a pronounced 'cheesey' whiff around the exposed end of the femur. I do know that with some parmas/serranos there is a chance of spoilage with the bones turning the flesh sour. I also know that these hams are tested with a sliver of horses shin bone inserted, withdrawn and sniffed to detect it.
Does anybody know what the smell is like of a sour bone ham??
I have made smaller joints of parma before but they have all had the bone removed. I can't decide wether to cut it open to see if there is anything wrong.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Paul

I think because you do a lot of posting, I think people (like myself) look to you for answers. Do you think there is any chance to get all the parma ham stuff under one section, moderators? Have you seen my stuff re: brine cure? Had no joy from Franco. Why you not driving a train anyway, or is that a night thing, like the web site by the way.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue May 16, 2006 3:51 pm

I left the bone in my hock joint and I do seem to recall worrying about it in the early drying stages as having a fishy/cheesey smell. Now it is either odourless or smells the same as the rest ie parma hammy, so it may be worth persevering with it. On the other hand you wouldn't want to lose a whole ham...

Edit: Could you stick a skewer in it down to the bone and give it a sniff, if it was going off I'm sure it will stink! If it's just the end of the bone ponging a bit as it dries out you may be OK.

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue May 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Paul stick with it,

Mine has done a similar thing to startoff with then it settled down.

As long as it doesn't smell rotten you should be fine.

I took mine down last week and it still needs more drying. My mate gave me a half leg that his dad made though and it smelt very mushroomy... (if that's a word) Tastes fine and I have used it in pasta stir in sauce and aso raw so I don't think the smell comes from anything harmful.

Do you hang yours near salamis? I hung mine next to them and I think the mould from the ox bung caused some of this type of smell.

Good luck

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Tue May 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi All

The only smell I have ever had is the smell of the original cure, though I am boneless :lol: . Mold and mushrooms are more or less the same thing, I think?

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 16, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will leave it and see what occurs, if it festers then so be it.. I will give it to my manager at work :wink: I am only alarmed because I have not encountered this smell before with the boned hams or the lomo.

Adam
I have only been at this just over a year now so am still pretty much a novice. I post a lot to try to help others by telling of my triumphs and failures, it's how we all learn. If I learn and master something then I will share that success. I can't profess to know the ins and outs of curing, it all seems a bit too scientific for me, I am more a 'hands on' person, so I tend to follow recipes on that subject.. I did see your post re: brine cure. It all gets a bit confusing. After reading your post I visited Len Poli's site and had a look at his brined ham recipes.. am now even more confused. As I say in that particular thread, the recipe changed from when I got my brine mix to when Rik got his.. hence more confusion. Oddley is a very learned man regarding nitrates and nitrites, but as he states, he doesn't know the composition of Franco's mix.

Regards driving trains.. pffft. I will be getting up at 0430 in the morning to drive some scrap metal trains... just to appease you :roll:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 pm

akesingland,

Where do you buy your meat from?
aris
Site Admin

Postby akesingland » Wed May 17, 2006 9:38 am

Aris

I just had 1/4 of an Iron age pig from Weatherall Foods (www.blackface.co.uk) which I must say in the cooked uncured state was very tasty. My Tamworth leg that is drying for Parma was from the Ginger Pig, Borough Market. Generally I buy my pork from a few fellas at Pinner Farmers Market which is every Sunday 10-2. There is one guy there in a white traliler he sells middle white crosses and does the butchery and does not give you the meat pre packed.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Wed May 17, 2006 1:41 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:After 33 days in cure, 3 days hanging by the emersion tank and well over a week hanging in the workshop 59%-66% RH, temp 16�C-20.5�C.. I note that it has a pronounced 'cheesey' whiff around the exposed end of the femur. I do know that with some parmas/serranos there is a chance of spoilage with the bones turning the flesh sour. I also know that these hams are tested with a sliver of horses shin bone inserted, withdrawn and sniffed to detect it.
Does anybody know what the smell is like of a sour bone ham??
I have made smaller joints of parma before but they have all had the bone removed. I can't decide wether to cut it open to see if there is anything wrong.

Regards, Paul Kribs

From what I can gather the 'pong' could be caused by bone marrow. After 60 years of scientific? contributions from acadaemia there is no definitive conclusion to the problem.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners