Im So Happy

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Im So Happy

Postby Bangerboy » Thu May 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi all, My names Matt and sausages have been a passion of mine for many years (eating that is !).

Last week, I made my first ones. Good I was so proud. Obviously they were not that great. Bud they were not bad either.

the only critisim I got was that they were too dry. Now as im trying to lose weight because of the years of over eating the things I thought id trim all of the fat off of the pork.

To me they werent that bad, but I could see they were a bit dry.

So my question is, is it posible to make a low fat sausage without making a dry one ?

If not ill just add the fat and stay in the gym longer.

Also the course I did to learn about making sausages said to hang them once made, but it was held in a cold butchery. I make mine in the normal temperature of home, so can I, and where do I hang them ?

And thirdly, I already have relatives wanting me to make some for them, so what is the best thing to wrap them in ? Maybe greaseproof paper ? Any suggestions.

Horray , im no longer a sausage making virgin, and it feels good baby !!

many thanks

Matt
[/b]
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri May 19, 2006 5:42 am

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

There are many options open to you for reduced fat sausages which are still moist, including oats, tapioca flour, onion, peppers, But I think it is nearly impossible to reproduce the succulence of a good fatty sausage, maybe the extra visits to the gym will be your best course of action if you want to produce the best eating sausages you can.
If you search the forum there are a number of low fat threads and recipes here for you to try and there are a number of other resources on the web which should help you out.Try here for instance

Good luck and happy sausage making!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Bangerboy » Fri May 19, 2006 6:04 am

Many thanks Richard, reading a few recipies, I think staying longer in the gym is the answer.

Wow its all so exciting isnt it ?

Matt
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri May 19, 2006 6:50 am

Bangerboy

I don't bother reducing the fat content too much, I normally have sausages twice a week, which totals 4 sausages normally. I doubt 4 sausages a week would have much effect regarding fat intake.

It is advisable to hang the sausages in the fridge overnight, assuming you have access to one.

For packing prior to freezing I use butchers counter wrap. If you are buying your meat from the butcher, ask him to sell you some.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri May 19, 2006 7:12 am

Hi Bangerboy,

Welcome to the forum. Everyone is really helpful here, so ask the questions and you'll get the answers.
I cant hang my sausages so I put them on a rack in the bottom of the fridge overnight to bloom. The fridge smells like an old fashioned butchers shop the next day!
As to dryness, Franco sells something called Supaphos, I've not used it but someone out there probably has and will tell you about it.
Enjoy your sausage making

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri May 19, 2006 7:50 am

Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Sat May 20, 2006 7:07 am

milk powder helps retain moisture too
jpj
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Sat May 20, 2006 8:31 am

paul when you hang your sausages in the fridge as above, do they not dry out at all?
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Bangerboy » Sat May 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi all and thanks so much for your advice.

One more question. As advised I will make next batch with fat, even only just to see the difference. Now when we talk about the fat, is that with the skin on or off ? As im guessing it would be hard to remove the skin and leave the fat on.

Many thanks my new friends.

Matt
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat May 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Separate the skin and fat from the lean meat, then carefully slice the fat from the skin by putting it skin side down on a board and running a sharp knife parallel to the board just above the skin with your hand spread over the fat side to hold it flat. Do it slowly, and it does have to be a sharp knife.
You can add the skin to the sausage, but it has to be poached for twenty minutes or more, until very soft, before mincing. (I wouldn't do this, as it is one of the things that separates-home made from manky supermarket bangers.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 20, 2006 4:04 pm

hmmm sausages

No, they don't dry out. They do however lose any 'excess' moisture if you have overdone the liquid. It allows the mix to meld/bloom/blend overnight, and if you are into smoking them, it forms the 'pellicle' on the skins which apparently aids good smoking. That's the tacky stuff on the skin.
If you have a good butcher near you, ask to look into his cold room.. generally you will see lots of rows of linked sausages hanging there.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Bangerboy » Sat May 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks Wohoki

This advise I shall take.

Many thanks

Matt
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat May 20, 2006 7:10 pm

No worries.