Black pudding

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:36 am

Wohoki wrote:These are pretty good:

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/cata ... 9c6b5e3b7b

since we fell out with the father-in-law I've had to buy them in.

I have some of the mix to try, I'll report on my experiments (I will be making boudin noir rather than trad BP, but I'll post anyway.)

I never thought that the Bury BP's were the best. I think they are overrated. It was probably because they stood on Bury outdoor which along with Tommyfields in Oldham were probably the busiest open air markets in the area.
All the producers I dealt with only used blood, no plasma.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:39 am

jenny_haddow wrote:I've just cut a couple of slices and given them a quick fry. The taste is fine, a nice black pudding taste, not gritty, but quite dense in texture. I'm used to softer and more succulent variety. Perhaps I need to adjust the water content, but then how do you get the resulting slurry into the casings, funnel and jug? Also, because they are in hogs casings and therefore quite thin for a black pud, perhaps the simmering time should be cut, I noticed they firmed up very quickly when I put them in the water. I have a feeling that a 45 minute simmer may have been to long for these. They look like the real article when cut, and as I said I cant fault the taste, but I'm saying this with all the authority of someone who seldom ventures further north than Peterborough. I've never eaten the pukka northern speciality, and my efforts are almost certainly a pale imitation. I shall persevere though.

Jen

All the producers that use blood, also use a funnel and jug to fill the casings.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Didn't say they were the best, but they are better than the plastic-wraped rubbish that is stocked in supermarkets down south. I miss the ones I got imported from Barnsley market.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:27 pm

Wohoki wrote:Didn't say they were the best, but they are better than the plastic-wraped rubbish that is stocked in supermarkets down south. I miss the ones I got imported from Barnsley market.

Of course Wohoki, I assumed that you got the Bury Black Puddings. I can't remember the Barnsley market that well, even though I sold and repaired machinery in Yorkshire.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Great place for tripe, cow 'eel, pig-bag, brawn and trotters. REAL food.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:49 pm

Cow 'eel, where did that go? It became calves foot jelly and very posh!
Wonderful stuff, sticks your lips together. I still cook tripe, albeit when I'm on my own, and trotters are a must in France, they seem to still revere them as a delicacy.

We should start the Real Food Society, we all seem to be of like mind, give or take.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm

I've tried getting calve's feet down here and all I get is a funny look.

(And I thought we already had an ad hoc real-food society going on :D Check out the Slow Food website as well
http://www.slowfood.com/ )
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Tripe, I love it best cold with lashings of malt vinegar, black pepper, and well, nothing else other than nice bread. I was born and bred in southern England but some of my favourite food comes from my parents' northern roots.

Parkin, brawn, more than one sort of Lancashire cheese, several sorts of tripe, don't get me started on the tripe shop in Glossop :D

I occassionally find it down here these days, but rarely.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:57 pm

I'd forgotten about Parkin. Man, I wish I had some right now :cry:

(Too late to make some, but the munchies, they afflict me something terrible sometimes, which is why I look like Oddley's avatar.)

As for tripe, I like it cut into strips, cooked and served as a soup in light chicken broth, served with nam pla, fresh chillis, and a good handful each of fresh corriander and mint leaves. Simple, clean and fresh.

Goddamn those munchies :lol:
Wohoki
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners