beef sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

beef sausages

Postby Rob Couchman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks to you guys my pork sausages are comming along nicely.
Can somebody now point me in the right direction for "beef sausages"[amt of fat, what type of fat, rusk or bead - how much etc], I`d be very grateful.
Many thanks
rob
Rob Couchman
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 pm

HI Rob

I go down exactly the same route for fat, rusk, water etc as I do when I make pork sausage. If you are into mixes, try the Boerwoerst (think that is how you spell it) with beef they are A1 on the old BBQ.

Beware though, sometimes you think you see a good deal on minced beef in the supermarket and the fat they put with that sometimes far outweighs the 10%.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

beef sausages

Postby Rob Couchman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 am

Thanks WW
Would you use pork or beef fat?
rob
Rob Couchman
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 am

Hi Rob,

Beef would be preferable, but any fat in a storm!

I am not too sure if you are going to mince your own or get hold of shop bought mince, but personally I find that if you mince your own and use cetain cuts like Tescos value shoulder (pork) c�1.20 a Lb then there is just about the right amount of fat in that and for me nothing needs to be added.

Shop / butchers mince beef seems to have enough fat also but if you are doing your own through the mincer buy your beef with a good fat cntent at the start if possible. I think that is always favourable to adding other fats.

Cheers and good luck WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am

I usually get my butcher to mince for me, which means that I can specify the fat/lean ratio, and choose the right cuts.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:36 am

It maybe an expensive cut but I use boned rib of beef that has a nice fat content and you can pick it out in Tesco's but it is cheaper if you buy it on the bone and bone it yourself.

I you use their ordinary beef mince it has a lot of nasty tasting fat when it is reduced in the pan not that I use it but the residue after the mince has been cooked for mabe bolognese doesn't have any beefy taste not like a bit of fat from a sirloin.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:02 pm

Tesco value stewing steak is cheaper than their normal price mince and makes for much nicer burgers, so I assume the same would be true for sausages. The meat to fat to gristle ratio varies enormously from pack to pack so pick and choose! It'll be nowhere as nice as Rik's suggestion though.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Beginners