Full meat sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Full meat sausages

Postby eeejay4 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 pm

hi

my children need to eat special foods and cannot eat wheat dairy, yeast sugar, rice or potatoes. Ive been making full meat sausages but they tend towards being a little dry, i know not having rusk makes a difference to that but lots of butchers etc - weve bought some before - sell full meat sausages that werent dry so it must be possible. Id really appreciate some tips, the only foods they can tolerate at the mo are spinach, courgette, butternut squash, carrots, green beans apple and pear so ive been adding combinations of these cooked and pureed but even so they sre still a little dry, any ideas!!!!!

thanks so much

emma
eeejay4
Registered Member

Postby royt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi Emma Welcome to the Forum Is the use of soya flour prohibitive? Thats what I use for a friend who cannot eat any wheat or dairy produce.
royt
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:23 pm

I don't know how you usually cook your 100% sausages, but you could try to poach them VERY gently in water that starts cold for twenty minutes, allow them to cool in the liquor, and then colour them quickly under the grill. This should retain all of the meat juices in the sausage.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi Emma,

here is a link to Len Poli's site. His French sausage recipes are all meat and not at all dry when cooked. You may find them worth a try, I find they are becoming my choice of sausage these days.

By the way welcome to the forum, everyone is very helpful, so just ask.

Cheers

jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Sorry Emma,

I posted an image instead of a URL, I'll try again.
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

If at first.....
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

thanks for your hrlp

Postby eeejay4 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:00 pm

sorry i should have added soya is out as well :-(

thanks for your ideas ill give them all a go

kindest regards

emma
eeejay4
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:24 am

Hi Emma,

I have found that the trick for me is to work the focemeat after mincing and spicing, I add crushed ice to the forcemeat to reduce the temperature and add moisture, then paddle for about 4 minutes on medium speed in my mixer. What seems to happen is that the salt which is added to the forcemeat makes some of the protein in the meat water soluble, this protein is then worked through the meat and fat mixture trapping the water and fats in a protein coating which retains moisture and fats and also binds the meat together reducing the mealy texture. I have found that since adopting this approach I have had very little loss of moisture or fat from my sausages, so much so that I now need to add fat to the pan before frying, whereas before they used to cook in their own fat.

You could also take this to the extreme and produce emulsified sausages, 'hotdog style' by double mincing and working the mixture for about 8 minutes, but this method does need more care with temperature control as the forcemeat tends to heat up during the paddling and if not enough care is taken to hold the temperature down the emulsion can break, leaving you with even dryer, mealier sausages.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Return to Beginners