Herbie Sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Herbie Sausages

Postby Rob Couchman » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:37 am

Hi all
I hope to make some herb sausages using the traditional sausage mix, could someone advise me on the amount of sage & thyme to use per kilo, or a better alternative.
Many thaks, rob
Rob Couchman
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Rob,

I don't know if you mean dried or fresh herbs. So far I've used fresh and my measure is 'a good handful' if you get my drift. I pick a full hand of sage from the garden with a dozen or so sprigs of thyme, put them in a mini chopper to finely chop. The equivalent dried may be a tablespoon, I think it is up to personal taste though. I always tweak recipes anyway to suit me which is probably what most of us do with our sausage making. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:47 am

Hi Rob

what ever you do dont forget to keep a note of the quantities of what you have used. I didnt on one of my first batches and have tried to replicte it ever since. all I can remember is I used Anchovie essence to good effect but how much, god knows......

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

herbie sausages

Postby Rob Couchman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:17 pm

Thanks Guys
I decided to use dried sage and thyme due the unavailability of fresh, 6 tbls of sage, 2 of thyme with fresh ground black pepper and the trad mix to a 2kg chop. Seemed tasty to me
rob
Rob Couchman
Registered Member

Return to Beginners