Salami Virgins

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Salami Virgins

Postby monkey pig keepers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:53 pm

:? We have never done this before, we have the equipment and all the ingredients (we think) are there any problems with making salami in our weather conditions?

Does any one have any tips or recipies?

Is there any good places to look for beginners like us?

Apperciate any help
Thanks

Bob and Catherine
monkey pig keepers
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:20 pm

You're in the right place.

I posted a beginner's "easy" method a while back.

CLICK HERE
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby dougal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:16 pm

Creating *controlled* cool and rather humid conditions is the problem you must solve somehow!
The UK weather cannot be relied upon!
Autumn and Winter are traditional times for such activities because the weater is more likely to be appropriate.

Many people use a modified fridge or freezer as a curing chamber.

Go too hot and the meat spoils. Too cool and it doesn't cure properly and dries very slowly. Dries? In humid conditions? Yep. You're aiming for something like a 25/30% weight loss from drying as part of the preservation scheme. If the conditions are too dry, the outside of the salami will dry more quickly than the sausage's moisture can equalise (and eventually the hard outside traps moisture in the centre, which can then rot). So you have to dry it slowly, which means humid conditions. But if its too damp, you'll have lots of rotten mould...
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:07 pm

I have been dieing for months to start some dry-cured meat/salamis, but all that I have read has lead me to the conclussion that I should wait until late Autumn. I'd far rather start with a good chance of finishing with a nice ham or salami for Christmas than throw away a load of spoiled meat in the middle of Summer.

Bonfire night was traditionally the time when folks in the UK slaughtered their animals (bone-fire) , and that is the best time to start curing and drying meat in the UK.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Beginners