Will it freeze?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Will it freeze?

Postby orkam » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 am

Hi, everyone. Completely new to sausagemaking and this site - in fact, I am yet to make my first batch of bangers.
I've ordered a sausagemaking kit, which includes rusk and seasoning. Can I freeze the rusk and seasoning in manageable portions? If so, does this mean I wouldn't be able to freeze any sausages I make, as it would mean the rusk has been frozen, defrosted and refrozen?
How do you store your rusk and seasonings? I'd be really grateful for your views on this.
orkam
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:12 pm

ORkam,

It all just goes into a dry cupboard in a jar or sealed as it is sent to you. Should last for months.

The rusk and seasonings are dry ingredients so the don't really need special care for preserving.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby orkam » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Fallow Buck,

Thank you very much for your advice.
orkam
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I bought 25 kg of rusk (big family :D ) and I keep it in a plastic dustbin in the garage. It's been there for six months and is as good as the day I bought it. Cool, dry and out of direct light it should keep for yonks.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby orkam » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:39 pm

Wohoki,

Wow! 25 kg of rusk - you must be an expert sausagemaker... And there was me worrying about storing 3 kg of the stuff. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Orkam
orkam
Registered Member

Return to Beginners