collagen casings

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

collagen casings

Postby staggalee » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:36 am

G`day all,
New to the forum, and new to sausage making too, so plenty for me to learn. Are there any negatives with using collagen casings rather than natural ones? It looks as though the collagen casings are going to be a lot easier for me to source than the natural.
Thanks,
staggalee.
staggalee
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:45 am

Hi Staggalee,

Welcome to the forum.

Whatever you do don't try as I once did, to poach an emulsified sausage in a collagen casing, things like hotdogs and keilbasa! the collagen will expand with the heat and water and become very loose!, they are ok for hot or cold smoking though, so that is how I normally prepare my emulsified sausages now if they are in collagen.

For fresh sausages they are just fine although they are more difficult to link into a traditional string, although it can be done if you don't over stuff them.

Good luck and don't forget to show us your efforts, don't worry if they don't turn out as you expect the first time, just persevere, it is well worth it!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby staggalee » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:30 am

Thanks mate,
I`ll keep all posted on my efforts. Also, I`m looking at some recipes that don`t mention rusk, but call for rice flour. Would this be a substitute for rusk?{recipes are in Sunbeam Multi Mincer instruction book} Australian version.
Thanks
staggalee.
staggalee
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:35 am

I would suggest that you try to obtain hog casings if you can. The trouble with collagen casings is that they are tough. Mass-produced sausages generally use collagen, and their tough skins are one of the reasons I started making my own; I hate sausages with tough skins.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:08 am

INSCA links for casings in Australia:

http://www.insca.org/ml-australia.htm
jpj
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi Staggalee,

There should be no problems with using rice flour, this is probably to act as a binder for the meat, whereas rusk acts as a binder and filler. You can of course opt for no rusk or starch binders and just make sure that you work the meat and spice mixture until it is sticky, described as the primary bind and that will also give the sausage a firm texture, too firm for some which is why a number of people prefer adding rusk!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby staggalee » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 pm

OK. Thanks one and all for the advice.
staggalee.
staggalee
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Should you wish to make a go of salamis, or other cured meats, Collagen is a most acceptable sub for beef middles, bungs, etc., as long as you soak them well.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Return to Beginners