What is rusk?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi All

Firstly the rabbit & bird angle came from the continent I think as the EEC was trying to get Europe wide consensus with the regulations.
Secondly I was wrong in the statement you cannot count any fat towards the meat content in the fact that it must be associated fat like Lee stated.

However the figures are that no more that 20% fat can be included in the meat & this includes inter muscular fat, that is to say not 20% on the top of the joint so to speak.
100% lean pork actaully contains about 9% inter muscular fat.
furthermore if you use 100% 50 vl Pork you can only claim meat at 66%
100% 70vl Pork you can claim 90% meat & 100% 75vl pork you can claim 86% meat

Hope this helps
Reagards
Sausagemaker
Last edited by sausagemaker on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 pm

dougal wrote:
I'm not sure there's anything to stop you making and selling "sausages" with less than 30% pork 'meat' - its just that you cannot call them "pork" sausages.

Your right, "Pork Based" or even "Pork Flavoured...just" might be more appropriate :)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi

I afraid you wrong in the assumption that you can sell a sausage at less than 30% pork unless it is Rabbit or bird or mixture of the two when you may go down to 26%.
In the words if a TSO I spoke to recently if it looks like a sausage, cooks like a sausage then in the eye of the law it is a sausage and cannot contain less that the stated amounts.
If you therefore make a sausage at say 28% pork & no other meats then it is illegal to call it a sausage let alone a pork sausage, as I have stated above the only sausage allowed to go below the 30% mark in the rabbit or bird or mixture of the two.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:54 pm

Are vegetarian sausages exempt or are they technically flouting the law?
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi saucisson

Yes they are exempt
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks!

Dave