First ham

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First ham

Postby Ma » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:29 pm

I've just brine cured my first ham using HFW's cider cure. i've boiled it, cooled it and sliced it. It tastes absolutely delicious. It's not in the slightest bit pink like you would buy it, my question is is this right and/or ok? sorry to be an oik!
life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life!
Ma
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi Ma
HFW's cider cure contains NO nitrate/nitrite if I remember correctly.
That is why it's not pink. So it's more like salt pork than ham.
If you're enjoying it anyway then don't worry about it.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:27 am

I thought HFW puts Salpetre into his cure as an optional aside?

Perhaps I'm thinking of the cure he uses in his Piggie processing DVD :?

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:49 am

In his books he gives the amount of SP to add, but states that it is optional.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Ma » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:22 am

Yes the recipe does contain saltpetre but i don't have any and didn't want to use it anyway. Thanx for replies.
life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life!
Ma
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Ma wrote:I've just brine cured my first ham using HFW's cider cure. i've boiled it, cooled it and sliced it. It tastes absolutely delicious. It's not in the slightest bit pink like you would buy it, my question is is this right and/or ok? sorry to be an oik!

Ma wrote:Yes the recipe does contain saltpetre but i don't have any and didn't want to use it anyway. Thanx for replies.

It is the saltpetre (or other nitrAte) or the nitrIte in commercial cures, that is responsible for the pink colour of ham. It also has (less dramatic) effects on taste and texture.
These curing salts are also protective, notably against botulism - but that is a much greater concern for uncooked sausages (salami) than for ham.

I wonder what might lie behind your saying that you "didn't want to" use saltpetre?
dougal
Registered Member

Return to Beginners