Giving a first go!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Giving a first go!

Postby rich » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:50 am

Fresh Bratwurst come to you from Tennessee, USA. Well tomorrow anyway, for I shall make my first fresh stuffed sausage. I've made one batch of bulk breakfast sausage to get the feel of my mincer an all, an was quite pleased with the result. I'll use this thread to document my efforts.
rich
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:42 am

Good luck on your bratwurst. Keep us in the loop and picture would be great. I make lots of sausage but usually make most of it during the fall and winter months. This time of year I just enjoy the fruits of my labours. Its harverst season so tomorrow I'll be making spaghetti sauce with all the veggies from my own garden. I'll be in Tennessee in February to visit some friends on my way to winter in Florida.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby rich » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:36 pm

Well here's supper for tommorrow. The have a little air in some. The links are not uniform, and are a bit mis-shappen. Just need more practice.

rich
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:16 pm

They look good Rich.
What's in 'em?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby wittdog » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Looks good rich you need to invest in a sausage pricker..
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby rich » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:36 pm

Veal is almost $20 USD a lb. here, so thery're not a traditional bratwurst (I'm not a purist anyway, and don't want to start THAT debate). so this is what I used:

-50% pork shoulder
-20% beef chuck
-30% fat
-allspice
-caraway
-sweet marjoram
-black pepper
-salt
-nutmeg
-My very own homebrewed India Pale Ale

there not very pretty, but boy are they tasty.

wittdog wrote:rich you need to invest in a sausage pricker..

Is that for get the air bubbles out? I used a sewing needle. I'd say my next batch will go easier. Even by the end of stuffing these I was much improved.
rich
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes rich they are for getting the bubbles out...and no matter how good you get you'll always have some air bubbles...a sewing neddle will work fine
wittdog
Registered Member

Re: Giving a first go!

Postby pokerpete » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 am

rich wrote:Fresh Bratwurst come to you from Tennessee, USA. Well tomorrow anyway, for I shall make my first fresh stuffed sausage. I've made one batch of bulk breakfast sausage to get the feel of my mincer an all, an was quite pleased with the result. I'll use this thread to document my efforts.

That's good because most of my American friends are Redneck Hillbillies, one of them is a boss of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park in your County.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:46 am

Hi Wittdog and Rich,

I would never prick a fresh sausage, all you do by that is offer the entrapped moisture and fats an escape path during cooking, most air bubbles or pockets in a fresh sausage will dissapear on their own overnight in the fridge and they do no harm anyway.

However, if you are making dried sausages it is very important that you prick them, as the air pocket can hinder the drying process and lead to a risk of the sausages being tainted. it can also cause the casing to rot at that point as they are not exposed to the salt, curing agents, or bacterial starters in dried sausage.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby rich » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:13 pm

The end result:
rich
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Is that sauerkraut Rich? Do you have a recommended method for making your own by any chance?

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby rich » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:42 pm

tristar wrote:Is that sauerkraut Rich? Do you have a recommended method for making your own by any chance?

Yes, that is my homemade sauerkraut. I am from German decent, so good homemade kraut is a staple food in my home. To keep from getting to far off topic here, I have started a new thread describing how I make my sauerkraut.

Homemade Sauerkraut Thread
rich
Registered Member

Postby Bill Hays » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Rich, that looks awesome!! Good Job!! 8)
Bill Hays
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Rich that does look awsome..Yum...
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:49 am

Great job Rick. I know youll be making lots more. I use all pork butts to make my brats. Like you said veal is too costly. I see in some commercial brats the use pork and chicken. I might have to try a test batch say 80 % pork and 20% chicken. I added my version of sauerkraut to your thread. Enjoy. My favorite meal is Sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and brats! yummy. Serve it with a nice cold beer or a white wine it doesn't get any better. Guess what I talked my self into for tomorrows supper. LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners