Are these Prague Powders?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Are these Prague Powders?

Postby Crispybacon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:10 am

Well I know the first one is but I was hoping for some clarification. I�ve seen lots of talk about Prague Powders #1 and #2 on this forum and I�ve found two mixes at my local butchers� supply. Unfortunately they�re not labeled the same way that I�ve seen here.

The first one is labeled: �Prague Powder 2XNN�. The ingredients are listed as salt, sodium nitrIte and mineral salt. I can�t see the colour of the mix as it�s in a sealed container and there are no percentages listed for the amounts of ingredients.

The second one is labeled �Salami Cure�. The ingredients are salt, sodium nitrAte (31%), sodium nitrIte (6.5%) and fermented rice. This one I can see is a pale pink colour.
Crispybacon
Registered Member

Re: Are these Prague Powders?

Postby dougal » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:04 am

Crispybacon wrote:The first one is labeled: �Prague Powder 2XNN�. The ingredients are listed as salt, sodium nitrIte and mineral salt. ... and there are no percentages listed for the amounts of ingredients.

There damn well ought to be a percentage somewhere!
Prague Number **One** is 6.25% nitrIte; the remainder being salt.
Number 2 is conventionally 6.25% nitrite, as before, and 4% nitrAte, remainder salt.
However, there isn't entirely universal exact agreement with this...
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=8320

The second one is labeled �Salami Cure�. The ingredients are salt, sodium nitrAte (31%), sodium nitrIte (6.5%) and fermented rice. This one I can see is a pale pink colour.

That's a strange one.
Its someone's proprietary cure mix. The fermented rice sounds like a bacterial starter (and/or flavouring - Fermento?) and its unusual in the nitrate/nitrite ratio - like there being 5x as much nitrAte, instead of just 2/3...

Never assume that because its pink its a standard formulation!
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:58 am

The first sounds like Prauge #1 the second seems to have way too much nitrate could it be 3.1 not 31 % That would be closer to the normal cures.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Crispybacon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:15 pm

I didn�t buy either of the products as I don�t currently have a need for them so I can�t recheck the labels. Even with the little bit of knowledge I�ve gained from reading this forum I did think at the time that 31% seemed high. I�ll check again when I return.

The only other information I can provide is a table that was listed under the ingredients for the Prague Powder 2XNN: The title is �10 litre� and it gives ratios for different Pump levels. For example:

10-12% Pump

2XNN = 100g
FOS SNR = 400g
Salt = 1.6kg

I assume this means if I want a 10-12% pump I need to use 100g of the Prague Powder, 400g of FOS SNR (sorry don�t know what this is) and 1.6kg of salt.
Crispybacon
Registered Member

Return to Beginners