Linking Collagen Casings : Help

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Linking Collagen Casings : Help

Postby Lance Yeoh » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:30 am

Help! I have a small steakhouse that wants to source some sausages from me, but they require that I use collagen casings. I got my hands on some samples and tried them out last weekand, I just could not link them properly. The twisted end just won't stay twisted. Even tried burning the ends with a candle to dry it up and hoping that it would stay but failed. Any suggestions?
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 am

Hi lance

Collagen casing link very badly the best way to do it is to under fill so that they do not burst when linking, do not get them wet or they will go like paper.
Try & get ah hold of some nippi casing as these are stronger than the standard Devro.

Hope this helps
Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 am

Sausagemaker,
You mean that I should link them as I stuff? I must link in threes I assume?
I'm using nippi casing for fresh sausages. I understand there are 3 different types.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi Lance

I would not link as you fill unless you have a machine, I would fill out in lengths & then link into three's as you stated.
If you think of sausages being 8 per lb then the casing you would need for that would normally be 8 x 4" + 10% = 35" of casing
if you under fill the casing by 20% then you need about 43" of casing.
This should then allow you to link by hand.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:03 pm

if your problem is just with the ends then knot the ends and snip off the knot after blooming.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Linking Collagen

Postby ockie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:49 pm

If it is of use to anyone. After a lot of difficulties with this type of casing, I asked my Butcher for a little advice! Firstly, he suggested I switched to Devro casings (as he uses these), then coat them in olive oil prior to stuffing, hands too. Like all good advice, you often think you know better, so I soak the casings in olive oil for a couple of hours before stuffing, this allowed the casings to 'stretch' onto a tapered tube.

Well, it works for me, the added benefit is that the length is well coated in oil and allows me to link without bursting or splitting the casings.

Hope this helps.
Ockie
'I would much rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy' - Sir Winston S Churchill
ockie
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:08 pm

Hi ockie

Thanks for the tip, I would never of thought about that one & I will definitely give it a try

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby ockie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:54 pm

sausagemaker wrote:Thanks for the tip, I would never of thought about that one & I will definitely give it a try

Now for an experienced Chap such as yourself, SM, just goes to prove you learn somethng new every day! I have to say as a complete novice, the solution George (my Butcher) gave was a clever one. I now leave un-used short lengthes of casing in a jar of olive oil ready for the next batch, which is never too long in the waiting!

Some one once told me on this Forum, that after making my own sausages, I'll never look another shop/supermarket bought sausage in the eye again. How right they were, my Good Lady never had a taste for sausages untill I starte to make my own, now that has definately changed!
Ockie
'I would much rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy' - Sir Winston S Churchill
ockie
Registered Member

Return to Beginners