new to salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

new to salami

Postby fb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:54 pm

hi, this is all new to me so go easy on me :),

right i have spent a few nights going over a lot of posts about salami making, and I think I have found out enough to point me in the right direction and get me making my own salami, just 1 question that i couldnt find out on youe forums, and thats, while the salami's are maturing do they need to be kept in the dark?

thx for any help
fb
Registered Member

Re: new to salami

Postby dougal » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:13 pm

fb wrote:... while the salami's are maturing do they need to be kept in the dark?

Hi fb, and welcome!

Dark is better - because light promotes "oxidative rancidity" (the fat going orff and smelling 'orrible).

Can you keep the questions that easy, please? :D
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi and welcome, that's a good question. I cure in the dark because all my cool places are dark. I suspect you will get more discolouration and oxidation if light gets in.

Dave

Edit: oops Dougal beat me to it, and said it better.
Last edited by saucisson on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby fb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 pm

wow thank's dougal & saucisson for such a quick responce to my question,
ok the place i intened to keep the salami's is completly dark, with the only light sorce being a single 60w bulb. I will start this prject towards the end of this week, as i still need to add a fan which should be here thursday (woot)

oh, is there anyway to stop me dribbling while dreaming about my home made salami's? :wink:
fb
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:38 pm

fb wrote:...
oh, is there anyway to stop me dribbling while dreaming about my home made salami's? :wink:

You see, that one's simply too tough for me... 8)
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:41 pm

I desperately tried to avoid any reference to dribbling over one's sauasage in the dark...
Edit: I can't even spell sausage right...

Dave

Edit: this is a family site so I chastise myself first and foremost.

D
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby fb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:05 pm

saucisson wrote:I desperately tried to avoid any reference to dribbling over one's sauasage in the dark...

lol indeed

:)
fb
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:54 pm

FB:

Cool and humid is even more important than dark, but dark adds some benefits other than cool and humid. Just jump in and try, because not trying is the biggest obstacle. If you have questions about the edibility of the final product, try these guys here for advice. Most likely, it will all be fine, and taste great. Then you will want to improve, and likely will.

For the record, neither Dougal nor Saucisson have praised my questions for being easy, and they are mentors to many (me included), so I think you are set to go.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:57 am

vinner wrote:FB:

Cool and humid is even more important than dark, but dark adds some benefits other than cool and humid. Just jump in and try, because not trying is the biggest obstacle. If you have questions about the edibility of the final product, try these guys here for advice. Most likely, it will all be fine, and taste great. Then you will want to improve, and likely will.

For the record, neither Dougal nor Saucisson have praised my questions for being easy, and they are mentors to many (me included), so I think you are set to go.

Jest y' b' careful Vinner. Am an 'onorary Redneck from the Cherokee Great Smokey Mountains National Park in Tennessee. Most of mypalsare from below the Mason- Dixon line.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:51 pm

I've yet to try salami but might the dribbling add to, or even help with, the humidity?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Return to Beginners