Hobby stuffer review.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hobby stuffer review.

Postby Bangerboy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi there after reading about this piece of kit that sells on Francos site I decided to buy one. And this is my feedback, if anyones interested :)

Before puchasing this I was using an electric mincer which you can stick on a sausage stuffing tube. This was ok but very laborious.

Firstly, again a quick delivery. I opened the box and assembled the stuffer. This was a very easy process. The base of the stuffer has 4 holes for fixing to a solid surface (recomended). Two of the corners where the holes were drilled were bent up, I presumed due to Mr parcel force being heavy handed. Not really a problem just a bit of a let down on the cosmetic appearance. This was no worry because as soon as you screw it to a solid base the corners will flatten.

I was glad to see 3 stuffing tubes to complete the kit.

The stuffer itself is very robust, and so easy to use. Nice stainless steel build. And I am not jokeing when I say it has cut down production time by at least 80% compeared to the SLOW electric mincer which smelled of burning if you tried to quicken things up.

Easy to stuff with not much effort ( unless its not anchored to a base). And takes a fair load.
Easy to assemble and take apart for cleaning. So much easer to clean than the electric mincer.

Now the only drawback that I can comment on as others have, is the stuffing tubes. The longest process is actually feeding the casings on to the tubes. But saying this, it didnt take ages , just a bit longer than my other tubes. I think as others have commented before its either the material they are made from , or the finish to the tube.

But in conclusion I highly recomend this stuffer for a first one. The price is right, and cheaper than other sausage making sites I have visited for almost the same product. Im am very pleased with it. Once again postage was quick and the ordering process simple. And its ease of total use was pleasing.

I hope this has been of help to anyone considering puchasing this product. And I am once again a very happy customer.

Sausages are so cool. :) :evil:
Last edited by Bangerboy on Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm

I have one just like it.

My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is it would be nice to have a way disengage the gears to lift the piston rod back up without having to crank it round and round...
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:01 pm

BBQer wrote:I have one just like it.

My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is it would be nice to have a way disengage the gears to lift the piston rod back up without having to crank it round and round...

I agree....especially when you are doing the last sausge and the casing breaks... :twisted:
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Bangerboy - many thanks for posting that.

I believe the piston is plastic as well as the nozzles. Yes?
Presumably everything else is stainless?

I gather there's an air release valve on the piston, to help avoid bubbles in the sausages. Is that valve easy to clean?

Excellent to have the review.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:01 pm

Dougal, I suspect this stuffer is much the same as mine, with a plastic piston, air release valve and a breeze to use and clean.
When you get yours you will be amazed at how much better it is to use, because you are in total control of how fast you want to work.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:24 am

I remember a member posting about using the forcemeat itself as 'lubricant' to slide the casings on to the tube. I've been using this method ever since and putting the casing on to the horn is a breeze. Just crank about 5mm of the meat mixture out of the horn and slip on the casing, the fat and moisture will help the casing on without any problems.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:26 pm

I do the forcemeat thing and will sometimes use a spray bottle with water to lube the tube
wittdog
Registered Member

Return to Beginners