Enough to make a grown woman cry!!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Enough to make a grown woman cry!!

Postby npsmama » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:58 pm

ARGHHH!!!

I've just sepnt about 1.5hrs trying to mince meat thru my Kenwood Chef mincer. It keeps jamming and generally not working :x :x . It says to dice the meat before putting it thru. I diced it smaller thinking perhaps this was the probelm and although it works better it's still not working. Surely you don'\t have to dice the meat so small that it's almost minced in order to put it thru the mincer??

Secondly some of the bits I have managed to mince have got grey bits on them - from the meatl parts of the mincer (it's a very old 701 model) even though I've cleaned it.

To cap it all I went to slice my (1.5kg) of bacon only to find it has gone off. :cry: :cry:

Honestly I'm losing the will to live here!
npsmama
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:20 pm

My first suggestion would be the cutting blade, the 700 series one fits in both ways around but should only go in one way with the flat side against the plate. If you have grey bits in the meat that suggests something is striking the sides of the mincer which sounds worrying, when you take it apart do you see any signs of damage?

dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 pm

As well as Dave's suggestion I would also put the meat in the freezer after dicing for a short while to get a good firm piece but not frozen, this will allow the knife to cut properly

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby npsmama » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:55 pm

the 700 series one fits in both ways around but should only go in one way with the flat side against the plate.

Aaahhh...that might be the probelm.

I'll give it another go.

thanks
npsmama
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:43 am

Depending on how warm the room is where you are working, you might also freeze the knife, plate, screw and housing as well.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Don't give up! A few kinks to work out and you'll be in business.

With my mincer, I cut the pieces in roughly 1.5 inch cubes. The mincer does the rest.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:01 pm

I think npsmama posted that the knife was in the wrong way around before the forum went down and took a last few posts with it.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Beginners