? about the cure process

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

? about the cure process

Postby BBQer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:16 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I broke my meat grinder in the middle of a snack stick run.

I have the spices, sugar and cure #1 all mixed together in a bowl - all the dry ingredients. Waiting to get my grinder fixed, this bowl has been in the refrigerator for two weeks. Is it still usable or will the nitrite in the cure have converted to whatever harmless state it converts into over this time?

Another question to test my meager understanding of this process. The nitrite is a poison that kills the bad bacteria in the meat and then is rendered harmless by what? My limited understanding is it's a reaction with the sugar (glucose) in the mix?

Then would the meat be safe indefinitely sans recontamination? For example, I take the finished snack sticks and leave them out on the kitchen counter for a day or two. Is the meat going to go bad? Is there any bacteria still in the meat to make it go bad?

Thanks to all for helping me understand this process.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:49 pm

Jerky spice producers in the states, now separate the curing chemicals from the spices, because of nitrite reduction. Or so I have read.

have a look at the link below, it should answer all your questions about nitrite.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0974.html
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks again Oddley.

Part of that report states that...In a series of normal reactions, nitrite is converted to nitric oxide.

Nowhere does it relate to sugar taking a part in those normal reactions.

I'll change my thinking accordingly.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm

Sugar as far as I know has little or no effect on nitrite. The bacon cure Franco sells has nitrite, salt and sugar as it's components and this cure lasts for about a year.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Beginners