Shoulder or Leg

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Shoulder or Leg

Postby this41uk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:13 pm

This may be a daft question but!!

The few books I have on sausage making say to use pork shoulder for making both fresh and dried sausages. at the moment I can buy leg of pork about �1 a KG cheaper than shoulder of pork.

Will meat from a different part of the animal have any bearing on the finished article.
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:24 pm

That's probably because traditionally the legs were reserved for hams, the fat content will be different though, so you might need to adjust accordingly.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BBQer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Is "leg of pork" front or back?

I use shoulder for BBQing. But sometimes the picnic (lower part of the front leg) is the only thing I can find and it is very similar. Maybe not quite as much fat. Of course that's BBQing, not sausage-making, so may be completely irrelevant information.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby this41uk » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Sorry so late with reply

It back leg.

PS anybody know of anywhere in West Yorks were I can get hold of some good quality rare breed pork.

Tim
this41uk
Registered Member

Return to Beginners