A question from an eater, not a maker

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

A question from an eater, not a maker

Postby komuso » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:09 am

A search in the forum database for the answer to this question produced too few relevant pieces of information so...

I have some saucisson that I bought a few weeks ago from a market in northern France. I bought them as souvenirs for friends back home, and I've been carrying them in my backpack in a plastic bag. The vendor told me they would be good for about two months.

What I didn't count on was excessive dampness on the surface of the saucisson from being stored in the plastic bag. They were initially white from a coating of flour, but the moisture has removed much of the coating. As soon as I noticed this, I put them in a paper bag inside the plastic bag, and I also started taking them out of my pack and hanging them in the hotel rooms I�ve been staying at to let them dry a little. When I first noticed the dampness, I used it as an excuse to eat one to check if they were ok.

I am plagued by thoughts of a repeat of the Garibaldi incident in Australia that, if I remember correctly, cost a life and caused others to be hospitalised after eating contaminated meat. Obviously, I would be appalled if any of my dear friends were to expire or take ill after consuming these succulent-but-sadly-succumbing-to-sweat saucisson.

One of the saucisson, a pepper coated pork concoction, was additionally wrapped in wax paper. Two days ago, white mould began to develop on the surface amongst the pepper grounds, so I ate that one too, with considerable reservation. I am glad to report that I did not become ill or die. I�m also glad to report that it was delicious; the idea of death may have made me more intensely aware of the flavour.

One or two of them will be eaten in a week and a half or so, and the others in about three weeks.

So I am wondering...

Might these saucisson be going bad?

Assuming that the integrity of the membrane that covers the tasty interior hasn�t been compromised, are saucisson fairly resistant to bad mould and bacterial attack from the outside?

Can I just coat them with more flour to help control moisture on the surface?

Am I worrying needlessly?

I hope they can keep. Thanking you for your kind responses in advance, Lindsay.
komuso
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Lindsay, If you have the slightest doubt that the sausages are not OK, then bin them.

Nobody can answer your questions with 100% certainty, without knowing the composition and method of production, of the sausages.

The following is suposition and just my own opinion.

If the sausages were in a sealed plastic bag with little air inside then because of the condensation the sausages still contain some water. Water will promote the production of bacteria, this means at some point they will go bad. Eating them you are playing Russian roulette.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Are you sure that white powder on the outside is flour and not the typical "good" mold that grows on the outside?

Personally, I would roll them in brown paper and not put them in plastic at all. Let them "breathe" and they should be fine for the time specified.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby komuso » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Something gave me the idea that the white coating was flour... so it's a coating of mould then?

I ate another one today. I should be sick by now if anything was wrong.

I will put them only in a paper bag from now and see how they go. I didn't want the aroma to seep into my clothes and sleeping gear which is why I have been keeping them in a plastic bag.

Hopefully I will be pulling the trigger on an empty chamber!

Interestingly, I also bought several other Justin Briou Le Baton de Berger saucisson as backup in case the others expire. These supermarket saucisson are sold in sealed plastic bags with quite a bit of air cushioning. Ive eaten one of these that was brought in someone elses back pack and there was nothing wrong with it.
komuso
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners