Uneven cut

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Uneven cut

Postby claude » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi all,
I am about to cure my first belly, my question is one side is only half inch and the other is one and a half will 5 days ruin the thin side?
I made my first sausage using the lincolnshire cure and they are great but will have to make more soon as all the family want them to.
Last edited by claude on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claude
Registered Member

Re: Uneven cut

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:08 am

Hi Claude,
claude wrote:I am about to cure my first belly, my question is one side is only half inch and the other is one and a half will 5 days ruin the thin side?

I'm by no means an expert, having only cured bacon twice now, but I'm pretty confident that it won't. As a counsel of perfection, use more cure on the thicker side than the thinner one.

Let's hope someone with more experience and knowledge answers soon.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:32 am

Most belly's are thicker one end than the other, just work off the thickest part of the meat. It won't ruin the thin end and it all equalises during the curing period. I tend to cure boned loin quite a bit and the main 'eye' is a lot thicker than the bit that tapers towards the belly and I have NEVER had any problems.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby claude » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks guys its my first time and i wanted to get it right, i will keep you posted on the final result.
claude
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:02 am

I'd amplify Paul's remarks just by saying that the "curing period" should include a minimum of a day or two of "drying" after rinsing off the remains of the cure.
That "drying time" helps to allow things to even themselves out.
If you hang it in the fridge for drying, it will dry much faster than on a rack, and very much faster than on a plate. You have control!
dougal
Registered Member

Postby claude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Well i must say it all turned out well, so well its all gone and i am starting my second batch of sausage and another belly.

If anyone is interested i am starting a new web site heres a link
http://huntergatherer.proboards77.com/
claude
Registered Member

Return to Beginners