A tale of woe

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

A tale of woe

Postby this41uk » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi

I've asked this question before :oops: so please bare with me. I just made some sausage with what I think was the right proportions of meat fat rush seasonings and water.

I used a recipe I got from the forum for the seasonings and another recipe for the meat mix; this was one I got with a Cumberland Seasoning
Mixed.

So all I did was use the seasoning mix from the forum in place of the bought one.

Sorry it�s long winded

The problem is with the bought mix I got a sausage that retained both moisture and fat

When I repeated this using a different seasoning mix the sausages lost both water and fat big time :!:

Is there something in a commercial seasoning mix that would help to hold it all together "or" am I just no good at making fresh sausage.

Tim

PS this is the later.

Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 pm

I think before we can help, you will have to post the exact recipe. It can then be inspected for the deliberate mistake... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 am

Hi Tim
Most of the bought mixes contain a phosphate emulsifier which is why you have the different result when you make your own.
The solution, either:

Make sure everything is VERY cold before you mix it.
OR
Use phosphate in your mix (Franco sells it)

If like a lot of people you are making your own to avoid the E numbers then you will have to use the first method and tweak the recipe until it's right for you. As Oddley said, If you post the exact recipe and method you used it will be scrutinised for you

BR
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby dougal » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:09 am

Spuddy wrote:Make sure everything is VERY cold before you mix it.

Tim - ISTR that you have Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie. This is a point that they do take pains to stress. And it is important to raising the quality of the finished sausage.
dougal
Registered Member

Return to Beginners