Advice needed, mould on parma ham style loin

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Advice needed, mould on parma ham style loin

Postby Richierich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:56 pm

I have had a pork loin on the go since late September. 2.3kg, using about 170g of curing salt in total (I forget the exact number), this was applied in two steps, with each step being wrapped and left for 12 days.

After the 24 days it had an afternoon in the fridge and was then hung in a cupboard at 17 - 21 degrees, 65 - 75% humidity for 3 days. After this period it was larded and peppered, after some 3 weeks I decided I wanted to have a look and maybe try a bit, scraping away the lard revealed quite a lot of clear liquid ono the surface of the meat, looked like quite sticky, but felt greasy. The meat was a pinky/grey colour, not the deep reddy shade I had expected, it did not smell of anything more than pepper. The lard was probably up to 3 - 5mm thick in places.

The weight had dropped from 2.3kg to around 2.1kg in the salt and had dropped to 2kg after 3 days in the cupboard. After 3 weeks of larding it had dropped to 1.93kg. I decided to remove the lard (as much as I could easily remove) and hang back in the cupboard naked. After a further week it is covered in a white covering, feels a bit like a brie. 2 photos are attached. The grey patch on the side of the loin is at the lowest point, it seems to be getting smaller and turning white.

Is this white residue a problem, or is this quite safe. The weight is now 1.7kg, should I re-apply the lard/pepper or leave it as it is.

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:13 pm

It's the same mould you get on salamis and.... Brie! It should be fine :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:19 pm

Thanks for that positive comment Dave, would you recommend leaving it naked for a bit longer?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:16 pm

I'd be inclined to relard it, you don't want it drying out too much.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:57 am

Thanks for all the advice, I tried a little yesterday evening, very tasty indeed. Although to be fair the end that has been uppermost during hanging is the consistency of the outside of a cured sausage, and the lower end nice and moist.

I cut the loin in half and found that the middle of the loin is still very pink (bacon looking) I guess given time the loin would have dried inward from the 2 ends. I have re-hung the 2 peices and will lard the solid parts this evening, leaving the realtively new surfaces for a day or so before larding.

Do you think larding will aid in "softening" the crusty bits? Also, the overall length of the loin was around 12", how long do you think it would have taken to achived an even consistency of texture and colour throughout the length if I had not cut it? I am considering just larding the 2 ends (loin eyes) on the next attempt and leaving the side uncovered.
Richierich
Registered Member

Return to Beginners