Use of Magimix instead of mincer

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Use of Magimix instead of mincer

Postby realcoolchris » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Can I use a Magimix to chop the meat instead of mincing it?

I aapreciate it might give a coarser texture but it would save me buying a mincer & then I could afford a halfway decent sausage stuffer :?:
realcoolchris
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:22 am

If I understand correctly it is extremely difficult to judge the crossover betwen chopped meat/ finely chopped meat/ paste when using a blender. so by all means try, but be careful.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:49 am

I tried it and it was really difficult. The end reult was less than satisfactory.

If I was you I'd get a decent mincer that has a stuffing attachment if you have to make a choice.

I used my Reber mincer for 2 years to mince and stufff before I got the hobby stuffer.

You'll be better off having a good eat mix and going through a bit of hassel stuffing than you will by stuffing a below quality meat mix into the casings easily.

JMHO

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Its going to give rather a different texture to mincing, I'd think.

Would a paste be appropriate for a 'banger' mix? - though you'd have to watch it stayed cold I think. And there are other things, along the emulsified sausage route (hot dog, bologna...) where you actually want a smooth texture...

And would a fairly coarse texture, from a light pulsing, be an interesting starting point for a salami?

I'm asking!
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:07 pm

I reckon dougal has it spot on. If you are liable to be producing a 'paste', keep it very cold and go for the emulsified sausage.. Personally, I doubt you will get the right texture for a fresh sausage, due partly to the inconsistent pulsing result. I have tried many times and have never been able to produce anything resembling minced meat.

Regards, Kaul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 am

Well, I started my sausage making days using a processor and later got my grinder when I got more serious in sausage making. I find it so much better and easier to use a grinder. It is just too difficult to get an even mince using the processor and since I like to chop my meat frozen. I'm sure I would have burn out my wife processor if I didn't get my personal grinder. :lol:
I also had problem when the meat heats up and turns to mush. It's a lot of trouble as the mixture tends to get into the hardest to clean parts of the processor and it just drove me nuts cleaning them out. It take an awfully long time as well coz you'll probably be able to process a small batch of meat at one go. The grinder just goes on and on and on. Wooohoooo! :D
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:07 am

If I'm just doing 500g meat for the kids burgers I often chop it up finely with a cleaver rather than getting the mincer out. Very therapeutic :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Lance Yeoh » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:08 am

saucisson wrote:If I'm just doing 500g meat for the kids burgers I often chop it up finely with a cleaver rather than getting the mincer out. Very therapeutic :D

Dave

Agree! And you don't have to spend another 15 minutes cleaning out the mincer. :lol:
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Return to Beginners