organic cure

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

organic cure

Postby maddox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:16 pm

I have been reading paul cribbs web site. i want to make bacon from the tutorial he gives but when i went on line to buy the organic cure the company i tried only had cure 1 and 2 and some other chemicals. I live in the usa so mybe thay call it something diffrent here. can someone help.
maddox
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:38 pm

have it delivered from sausagemaking.org, it's worth the extra postage. The company you are trying to deal with are probably referring to cure #1 & #2.. Don't buy these unless you are making your own cures.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

thanks for the reply

Postby maddox » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:08 am

Thanks paul i saw the organic cure on the servers web site already. does the organic cure have nitrates in it because i saw an artical that said salt peter has been passed as an ingrediant that can be used in organic food. In the usa that is not the case . your web site is great i visit all the time i print the tutorials and read them on the bus to work i am a food nerd but not a good speller
maddox
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:13 am

I don't know the make up of the cure. The reason I use the organic cure is that I love the taste of the bacon it produces as opposed to the other flavours which I have tried. The pork I buy is not organic, but free range large whites.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:47 am

Hi Paul,
Paul Kribs wrote:The reason I use the organic cure is that I love the taste of the bacon it produces as opposed to the other flavours which I have tried.

I know this is a hard question, but would you be able to describe that difference in any way? The organic cure is - Saltier? Sweeter? More intense? Gentler? More porky?

I have to say I like the results I get with the "smoked" cure, but would perhaps be interested in trying the organic cure on your recommendation. I can always add smoke!!
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:23 am

Ianinfrance

Can't give a definitive answer to that one, other than I just find it tastes 'good' or 'to MY' preference. Others, relatives and friends, always describe it as the best bacon they have tasted.. although to be fair they haven't tasted the others, other than pre-packed supermarket bought. They always comment on the lack of 'white stuff' whilst cooking it.

As I say, I didn't go for it for 'organics' sake, I did some bartering with Spuddy and that is what he sent me, and I am glad he did. I have tried adding the smoke powder and although it is still very good with it in, I prefer it 'as is'. Generally preferring my bacon green, but I do cure pigs cheeks with the organic cure and then smoke them over oak chippings..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am

Paul Kribs wrote:I did some bartering with Spuddy

Me? :P
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:01 am

Yep, seem to recall it was to do with a pie dolly.. could be mistaken though.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

"I like it, Eth"

Postby Ianinfrance » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:25 am

Hi Paul

Yup, I feared it was one of "those" questions.

Thanks anyway.

I have to say that so far everyone who's tasted mine have raved, so we must both have been getting something right!
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Return to Beginners