my 1st attemp at sausages.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

my 1st attemp at sausages.

Postby parkstone whippets » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:08 am

Well the time had come to give the Sausage maker a go.

I went to the local butchers (1 that still makes his own sausages) and bought some skins, some rusk along with 7lb of shoulder of pork and 3lb of stewing beef.

We then set about making a few bangers, we started with the shoulder of pork by mincing it finely.

once it had been minced once we added some rusk and some seasoning, sage,origano ect then it was re minced with the fine attachment on it then water was added to the mix.

then the fun came filling the skins.

then came the linking which i must say I think I did pretty well.

we then minced the beef up.

once minced we mixed the beef with the same amount of pork mince and then put that into skins as well.

then came the best bit TASTING the pork tasted very nice good texture, the beef have a good texture but i'd say need some herbs adding next time.

in all the ingrediance including skins ect cost us �28 to produce 10lb of sausages.
parkstone whippets
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:34 am

looks good for your 1st time. Congrats :D
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi PW

Well done you, they look good enough to eat! Seriously though they look spot on and as it was your first attempt you should be delighted with the results and all for �2.80 a Lb, what a bargin.............

Keep on keeping on - cheers WW.
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby parkstone whippets » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:07 pm

i'm already planning for my next lot, thinking along the lines of Pork/Appple, or a hot firey type with chillies ect.
parkstone whippets
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:17 pm

They look good. You are hooked now. LOL No more store bought sausage for your family! Congrats on your first regular step in sausage making.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby parkstone whippets » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 am

Funny thing is a naibour came round just as I finished making them and took a few of each (Pork & Pork/Beef) the next day he was back after eating them asking for details of where to get a mincer/stuffer from, skins ect he's now the proud owner of a sausage machine as well :D

i'm a funny sod with food, I dont like finding hard bits in food that I can't identifie so sitting down to my home made sausages knowing exactly whats in them was a real delight.

I look forward to making many more.
parkstone whippets
Registered Member

Postby porker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am

You're off to a flying start...and great pics too!

:)
porker
Registered Member

Return to Beginners