We are in business but....

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

We are in business but....

Postby yr hen selsig » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Well the porkwert kit has arrived from sausagemaking and the hog casings too, many thanks.
A 1.5m skein is sitting soaking in the sink as we speak. A 2kg. mix of merguez mix to my own concoction slumbers in the fridge. I fried up a small patty of my mix adjusted the seasoning and it tasted good - own homemade harissa was very good (made since old 'Barts' had gone off - somehow). So my puzzle is casings look knobbly and how to flush them through my 'fawcet' - er ummm, I found that word, think its posh for end of tap - mines a chunky mixer. I'll soak the skin for about 4 hours - apparantly the longer the better and I'll add a squirt of lemon to tenderise but I dont see how to wash this casing out or how it will come out smooth and hole free. Prob these merguez should be put in finer sheeps casing to be slimmer like long chipolatas but I thought I would see how I go on with the 30 denier jobs first. No good putting 10 denier fine nylons on stubbily legs with rough hands and laddering them - get my drift?
So how to handle the casings pre filling then! :? ?
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 pm

got a funnel?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby yr hen selsig » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:58 am

Yes - I've got a funnel ---why?Are we gonna turn these skins inside out, theyve got dangly bits. Do I snip em off or will I get holes.
Ive got tubes for the mincer .. do I still need the funnel?
You will have to amplify!!
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

think I see the light

Postby yr hen selsig » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 am

Have I got the idea? :roll: pull the casing onto the funnel, run water down the funnel pulling casing off slowly while flushing - just like a toilet!!
Great, now what about the dangly bits? :lol:
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:41 am

yes use the funnel as you've said
if you can't get the ends open with fingers or faucet too big
i don't understand about the dangly bits?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:41 pm

i'm not sure either, the only thing I can think of is he has a "branched" intestine, do you have branches coming off the main tube or "polyps"? A picture is worth a thousand words if you can take one and post it.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BBQer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:20 pm

I've had some hog casings (well sheep too) that had "threads" coming off of them. I assumed they were blood vessels (capillaries?). Snipped 'em off and had no problem with leaks. Just didn't snip to close to the casing.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Re: think I see the light

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:19 am

yr hen selsig wrote:Great, now what about the dangly bits? :lol:

Are you talking about 'whiskers', little threads about 0.5" long or so, hanging sparsely off the casing? I've seen them before, I've read that their presence depends on whether the casing is 'knife cut' (no whiskers) or 'hand pulled' (has whiskers); I assume that this refers to the means of how the casings are detached from an internal membrane. I just ignore them.

Edit: As DeWied Corp says, "Threads Of Connective Tissue Or Whiskers -
Threads of connective tissue or whiskers visible on sausage. Hog casings processed with a knife to separate them from connective tissue during production, often have threads of fatty connective tissue left on the inside curve of the casing. These white threads vary in length. On fresh sausage they are most visible immediately after stuffing sausage but become translucent and are almost unnoticed after the sausage takes on its bloom. DeWied has REAL� brand hand pulled hog casings that do not have threads of connective tissue or whiskers. DeWied�s FRESHLINK� casings also offer whisker free appearance but added strength and long strands of a knife cut casing.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby yr hen selsig » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Yes these appendages are rather like fine cotton threads of various length about 5cm., they may well be capilliaries. Yeh, I just snipped em off not too close. They dont seem to be important as things go. To be expected in a natural product I suppose. The sausagemaking casings seem to be fine, the hog ones a little chewy to my liking and I soaked over night, I've sent for the sheep ones I prefer thinner sausages and I am conscious of the fact that they really are not that good for ones cholesterol intake so smaller is better.
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Return to Beginners