My very first Merguez sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

My very first Merguez sausages

Postby yr hen selsig » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Well I hope this pic arrives. The merguez sausages were delicious but I will try them next time in the sheeps casings. I didn't use any rusk in them to make them edible for a friend with coeliac disease (serious allergy to gluten) and I don't think any was needed. The only thing I would say was freezing them altered the flavour, they were at their best fresh and kept no longer than 48 hours in the fridge. Maybe when I do the sheeps casings, I will have sausages to link. I didn't get enough from my mixture to make enough to link in threes.
I didn't what to add preservative but what is recommended should I do so. It may be a requirement in the summer if I'm not to poison people. :D
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:44 pm

The file name seems to be missing the letters jpg at the end.

Code: Select all
[img]http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/2775/merguezsausagescookedbf2.[/img]

Add that and voila!

B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Re: My very first Merguez sausages

Postby jpj » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:53 am

yr hen selsig wrote: I didn't what to add preservative but what is recommended should I do so. It may be a requirement in the summer if I'm not to poison people. :D

(prague) cure # 1, available from the main site
jpj
Registered Member

Imageshack easy to use!

Postby yr hen selsig » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 am

Never uploaded my pics to the web before now. It worked well, dont know why the word 'jpg' did not come out in the img tags title since I was careful to make sure the image was in that file format. The pic was not on my posting immediately , Ichecked. I applaud OTTLEY on the tutorial which was straightforward to follow even for old duffer like myself! I think my pic will make a good 'still life with sausages painting'! :lol:

Thanks also for advice on using prague powder 1, I'll buy some from the site. :)
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi "yr hen selsig"

What's you recipie then?

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

For Adam - merguez sausages

Postby yr hen selsig » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Adam
I merged two existing recipes, one by Len Poli the other by Clifford Wright to make things easy. To make a trial run, I would do things in these proportions
2lb of minced lamb, your own or butchers/prepacked
2 large garlic cloves ponded with salt to a paste
1 tsp of cumin seeds toasted in a dry pan and ground in a grinder for best flavour (or ready ground)
2tsp of dried onion ground
1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
1/4 tsp.of hot paprika or cayenne pepper
1 to 1 and 1/2 tsps of harissa paste*
Thoroughly mix all the above ingredients, add a little water if your mixture is too stiff but you dont want it too wet.
Place in the fridge to rest your mix, blend the flavours and let it chill

meanwhile soak your casings about 8 feet - sheeps preferably for at least 2 hours. Hog casings will give you banger sized sausages.
Ensure your sink is spotless, put in the plug!!
Ensure your working area, self and equipment is hygenic.
Make a small patty and fry to check the seasonings - you can always add a little more at this stage if you want a stronger or hotter taste
Flush the casings through using a funnel or your forcing attachments.
Fill your sausages and link off at 5 inch intervals.
Refridgerate overnight to allow a shiny bloom and flavours to blend.
Shallow fry within 48 hours of making or freeze - wrapping each one in cling ilm to allow for separation. Serve with salad and perhaps tzasike.

* Harissa. You can buy jars or tubes of this in delis, middle eastern foodstores and most large supermarkets.
I made my own and it was worth it

2 dessert spoons of cayenne/ hot pure chilli powder (not Schwartz as that is not pure) or hot paprika
2 dessert spoons of regular paprika
4 mashed garlic cloves peeled with salt
1/2 tsp of freshly ground caraway seed
1/4 of freshly ground coriander
extra virgin oil for topping off
a small screw top jar
mix everthing together. The mix will keep in the fridge for about 3 weeks as long as you cover it in the oil.

There you go, good luck.
Mari
yr hen selsig
Registered Member

Return to Beginners