Yeasty Salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Yeasty Salami

Postby WalterMacd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:06 pm

I am fairly new to making sausages which I enjoy as a hobby. About three weeks ago I had a try at making salami using the kit from this site. The sauges have turned out looking good, with a slight white mould forming on them which I understand is a good thing. Last weekend I could not resist them any longer and cut a piece to try and though edible it has a fairly strong yeasty taste, almost like real ale! Althogh not too unpleasant this is not what I expected and am looking for advice from any more experienced hands as to what may have caused this. Is it possible I have included too much starter culture or perhaps I have not left them to mature long enough, or perhaps that is how home made salami is? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Walter
WalterMacd
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi WalterMacD,

What you can taste is probably Lactic Acid, it is what gives a genuine Salami it's slightly tangy taste. This acid is produced by the starter culture to protect the meat during the initial drying stages when there is still enough moisture to allow harmfull bacteria to grow.

If you used a starter it is highly unlikely that you used too much, the starter will I believe only grow until a certain acidity level is reached, so is in effect self controlling.

I would say that your sausages are possibly still a little immature at three weeks, but of course this depends on your particular drying conditions, but normal practice is to hang until 30% weight loss has occured, although I am not sure if eating earlier will cause the salami to taste more tangy or not, as I have never tried.
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby WalterMacd » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:53 am

Tristar,
Thanks for your reply. I tried the salami again last weekend and it seems like the yeasty tang is diminishing so perhaps I had tried it too early. It is edible at least and will not go to waste.
Walter
WalterMacd
Registered Member

Return to Beginners