Batch Calculator

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Ratty » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:56 pm

LOL, I just made my first sausages and thought a sheet to help would be handy and now i finished i see there is one :P .
I think mine may be a little suited to a beginner like me, as i wanted to make sure i got the right % of ingredients to meat as i don't have the experience to judge myself as yet, and also some of the recipes I've seen online are for almost industrial volumes (especially the American ones).
Mine has 2 functions, give it your meat weight (and fat%) tell it what % of rusk etc you want and it spits out the amount of each you will need and give you the batch fat content.
The other is a scaler, input a recipe you like, tell it how much meat you'd like to use in your version and it will scale all the ingredients according to the amount of meat you have compared to the original.
I have no hosting but if anyone wants a copy drop me a pm with an email addy and ill send you a copy.
Ratty
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 am

I have a few 'batch calculators' on my blog. You may be interested in those:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=cur ... alculators

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ratty » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:04 pm

I was having a look last night, definitely some nice calcs and recipes there, i will be spending more time having a nose :wink:
i'm stuck with fresh sausages for now, i dont have the space to setup for curing so bacons/salami/hams are out.
tho i saw a youtube clip of someone salami type sticks in a low oven for about 8 hours, that might be doable for me
Ratty
Registered Member

Re: Batch Calculator

Postby Eskimo Joe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:51 pm

What does "Ingredient % in FP" mean? I dont get the "FP" part.
Eskimo Joe
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Final Product
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby turnerm » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 am

Richard...

Thank you for posting your batch calculator for sausage making...(years ago, but still used)...I am a relative newbie to this game, but enjoy it very much...My question is as follows:

I refer to your calculator where you have a "Main Recipe" section on top...and a "Seasoning Make up " section below...

I understand that the "Seasoning Make-up" section lists the various spice with their applicable percentages...which will increase or decrease with the weight of the ingredients in the top (Main Recipe " section...

FINALLY TO THE QUESTION....What/who determines the percent of the "Seasoning Make-up" in the "Main Recipe"...

Is this a random number that can/will change with preference to taste???...Is it my decision after I have entered 2.5% to say that is too strong or tasteless and increase or decrease the percentage accordingly..

OR...Is there another factor that I am missing...

Thanks for enlightening Me...

Mike Turner

10 miles from "BriCan) in Western Canada...
turnerm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi

I don't use this calculator so am probably not the best to comment, but it appears that you enter your chosen recipe in columns A and B and the amount of sausage required in E4. The calculator will produce a figure in E16, which you enter in E23 to get a final calculation for your sausage. An entry in E23 reading "=E16" (without the quotation marks) would do the same thing automatically.

The sample recipe entered is a basic sausage recipe put there as an example. The percentages of seasoning ingredients can be varied according to taste, or recipe.

I hope that this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby turnerm » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Phil....

Thanks for your prompt reply.....I agree with your analysis of the Batch Calculator.....If we enter 1 kg. in E4 all the other calculations will work off that number...

When I read paragraph #2 of your reply, you say, "the percentages of seasoning ingredients can be varied according to taste or recipe.".....I agree...While the percentages of the ingredient stay the same in the "Seasoning Make up" section, adjusting the number in B16 from say 2.5 to 3.0 will increase the quantity of the seasoning make up.......So...if I read you correctly, you agree that adjusting the number in B16 is my decision.

In effect, it is a trial and error situation.

Thanks for your help...

Mike
turnerm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:42 pm

B16 will alter the level of the 'total' seasoning. B24 downwards to B38 will alter the levels of the individual seasoning items.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby turnerm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Phil......

Thanks for the reply.....I agree with you completely...

I am just heading over to "Local Food Heroes"...to get your instructions on Pauline's Ham in a Bag.....I shall probably be onto you again over there for some of your much needed help....

Regards,

Mike
turnerm
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners