Page 1 of 2

Batch Calculator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:43 am
by sausagemaker
Hi All

I have just made a small batch calculator in excel for changing the recipes you find to the correct weights for your batch.

I hope you find it usefull
Thanks to Spuddy for suppling the hosting

Click below for the download


PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:17 am
by Spuddy
Nice one Richard. That is going to be SO useful.
Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:13 pm
by akesingland

Thanks for that. I just created something similar, mainly to scale down recipies using 3 kilos plus of meat. I often go to the butchers/shops to get my meat so it allows me to scale all the other ingredients down to fit what meat I have. So on my version it works the percentages out from the original recipie. It isn't too happy with spoon measures though!


PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:22 pm
by porker
Great piece of work...Thanks I'll be using that!



PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:34 am
by Spuddy
Just made this a "Sticky"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:21 am
by aussieinor
Hey Guys,

I've been using this calculator a few times and also reviewing it. I have a couple of questions regarding it that maybe someone can clear up for me.

When adding the seasoning as a % based on meat weight, this calculator seems to give incorrect amount of spices (if you have rusk, water or anything else) as it adds this to the overall finished product. Therefor, we are adding much more spices (seasonings) that what is needed.

i.e. If I want 25kgs of finished product for Pork Shoulder, Belly, Breadcrumbs and water; the total weight for meat is 20.5 kgs and water/rusk/seasonings is 4.5 kgs. The seasonings should be calculated at 20.5 kgs and not the total 25kgs.

Am I correct on adding the % of seasoning to finished meat weight or not?

Doing it this way, it also has you add seasoning (below part of calculator) to the seasoning weight (upper part of calculator).

I hope this makes sense to you guys as I think I've now confused myself.

Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:19 am
by sausagemaker
Hi Aussienoir

The % of seasoning is based on finished product that is to say if you are using 2.5% seasoning then the remaining ingredients add up to 97.5%

In a 25 kg batch you would have 625 grms seasoning & 24.375 of meat water & rusk.


PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:05 pm
by alesypalsy
Excellent stuff thanks, I shall be using and I am new to it.

weights to spoon converter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:40 pm
by DrAndy
Anyone know of a chart to convert weight of herbs and spices to spoon sizes?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 pm
by sausagemaker
Hi DrAndy

Please see link below ... highlight=


PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 pm
by DrAndy
many thanks


PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:37 am
by spanner
Great help, cheers. I've always calculated the seasoning against the weight of the meat, which explains why I've always had to test fry a few times until I got it right.

Not that there's anything wrong with test frying :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm
by rocky
Thanks so much. We'll get some use out of that . Nice job. :!:


PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 am
by Dazzajapan
A great find for those of us who are mathematically incapacitated! :P

numbers arent fun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:04 am
by spudeye
Hi all
If I have a recipe or brain flash that is given in kg /lb I just add the total weight of everything , like EVERY thing up and use that as batch amount. Just not sure if I include the .02 gram of spicesetc as example to reach total batch for when I want to scale down or up a recipe.
Simple I guess for U experts but a brain snapper for a dumby LOL.
thanks Graham