Hot Dog Frankfurters Weiners Help

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:09 pm

As promised an adaption of Big Guy's Hot Dog recipe using beef instead of chicken:

50% Beef
50% Pork

I use fatty pork including a small amount of jowl, and chuck steak (or similar cut)

Of meat weight:

Milk Powder 3.6%
Iced Water 10.5%
Garlic Powder 0.12%
Onion Powder 0.26%
Supaphos (site shop) 0.9%
Cure #1 - 0.22%
Seasoning Mix 1.75%

Seasoning Mix:
Salt 24gm
white pepper 7.1gm
Paprika 6.9gm
Mace 1.7gm
Mustard powder 4gm
Oregano 0.6gm

I make these as per Big Guy's instructions but smoke them for an hour or so instead of adding liquid smoke. I have finished the cooking by poaching, or in the smoker - both work fine. You could add smoke powder if you don't have a smoker.

Whilst I am not keen on adding things like supaphos, Big Guy says it's necessary in these hot dogs, hence it's use.

They're my youngest daughter's favourites.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jamanda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:56 pm

wheels wrote:Whilst I am not keen on adding things like supaphos, Big Guy says it's necessary in these hot dogs, hence it's use.

Phil

Have you tried it without? The sales pitch for it on the site shop says it's an essential ingredient for a British banger - well I don't use anything but meat, a bit of rusk and herbs in my bangers and they are pd good.
jamanda
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I think it would be safer if we say it's an essential ingredient for a commercial British banger...

ie if you are trying to recreate the exact texture of a particular commercial sausage.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 pm

Jamanda

No, I wouldn't use it in a British Sausage - nor would I use cure #1; I like to keep things simple.

However, this is an emulsified sausage and is a very 'different beast'; IMO the cure #1 is essential as I am smoking them - the ideal conditions for developing the nasties that cause botulism. It could also be said to be necessary to create that authentic hot dog colouring. The supaphos could be left out - but, according to Big Guy will not make as good a product. In the case of this sausage I'm happy to sacrifice my normal principles! :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Spuddy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:22 am

As far as I'm aware the phosphates in supaphos are an essential mineral. The same as are included in over the counter vitamin and mineral supplements. Can't be bad to use them therefore?
I read some where that many atheletes take Calcium Phosphate supplements.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:59 pm

It is a mixture of complex sodium phosphates, so other than that it will contribute to your sodium intake it is perfectly "natural" on the: should I be worrying about additives scale...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginners