Skin on or off

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Skin on or off

Postby Carl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:02 pm

Hi, I have a question before I make my first batch of sausage. Do you leave the skin on the meat or take it off?
Carl
Carl
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:07 pm

Carl that is your choice some people mince it with the meat and some don't. I personally don't.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:09 pm

If the meat (and skin) is very fresh and soft - then it is usually OK - but depends on your own taste. You will also need a pretty heavy duty mincer to mince skin. When I get mince from my butcher he leaves the skin on - but he has a huge mincer.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Carl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks for the advice I'll take it off. Fingers crossed here goes first batch coming up.
Carl
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Don't worry about crossing your fingers, I'm sure they'll turn out fine.
On the subject of fingers though; remember to keep them well away from the mincer screwfeeder.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:44 pm

Hi Carl

The secret to the use of skin is to remove it from the meat & cook in boiling water for about 30 minutes.
You can then mince it very easily & mix it in.
The resultant stock can also be used but do cool this first.
When you use skin this way it helps the sausage set up as it releases the natural gelatine.

Hope this helps

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Carl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:31 am

Hi, Well batch one can only be called a success apart from over stuffing the casing that split when I tried to link them, this was rectified and the sausage left in the fridge over night. Breakfast time was a homemade sausage sandwich, I was amazed how good they looked both raw and cooked as good as any shop bought but the taste was great. Thank you all for your advice and support.

Carl
:lol:
Carl
Registered Member

Postby Haggis » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:39 am

Hi
Hope this is the right place for this question! I have been reading all the advice on the forum and its been fantastic. However I have just minced my pork and its currently chilling. I left the rind on. (Is this the same as the skin?) Is this a bad thing? Will it make my sausages useless?

First time at this and have still got a lot to learn.

cheers
Paul
Haggis
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi Haggis, welcome to the forum.
The rind is the skin yes.
If you minced it finely then you should be OK although you'll notice the texture may not be quite right definitely NOT useless though.
If you minced it more coarsely then you'll probably end up with some fairly chewy bits in the sausages unless you cook them very slowly say in a casserole or cassoulet.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 pm

It also depends on how fresh your meat is. The fresher the pork, the softer the skin. If the pork has been hanging for a while, the skin goes hard - and less palatable in sausages.
aris
Site Admin

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:04 pm

Carl
Usually when I run into skin I take it off the shoulder very carefully and then mark and freeze it. When I use it in sausage (usually in half-pound lots, for texture) I cook the skin for 20 minutes or so, then let it cool before I grind it through a fine plate. I just used a half-pound in some potato sausage today, and it came out fairly good. It's all personal taste.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby fatnhappy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:32 am

I always cut it off and feed it to the dog, but since you guys all seem to advocate cooking and grinding it I might just try it in a small batch.
fatnhappy
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:02 pm

Such a waste to mince the skin though. I always use mine to make pork scratchings (ie crackling). Half for me (with salt on) and half for the dogs (without the salt).

Cut skin off pig. I just cut it into big oblongs no need to score it.
wipe with a little oil (I use olive but any (cooking) oil will do)
Sprinkle my portions with a little Maldon sea salt.
Cook the skin in a hot oven (200-220 degrees C) until it bubbles.
Chop up (more of a shatter really) and eat hot or cold. Excellent snack with a glass of wine and not too unhealthy as most of the fat goes into the sausage so it's nearly pure skin!

Exception to this is, I believe, saveloys (which I confess to never having made) but I understand that the minced skin and gelatine water (ie the stock from cooking the skin) is an essential part of the recipe.
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Well you learn something every day - I tend to remove the rind and feed it to the dogs because I did not think that with such a thin sliver of fat on the underside of the rind it would crackle too well.

Oh well a few more pounds soon to go on the ever expanding waist line!
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 am

I have found that to get good crackling you need to leave at least 1/8" of fat on the skin and then do as Toby says. I believe they even sell small trays of it in Morrisons for making crackling. Personally, I take all the fat off the skin, you can almost see right through it, I freeze the fat and use it for sausage making and discard the skin. I have wondered if it would be worth boiling the skin to obtain a reduced stock, and would it set to a gellatenous consistency when cold for use in pork pies??

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners