Back Fat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Back Fat

Postby Peter Ramone » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Stupid questions sometimes deserve a reply, but I am finding it hard to locate a good supply of back fat. my local butchers only seem to have it sporadically and in small quantities. Any suggestions ?
Peter Ramone
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:11 pm

Butcher or meat wholesaler are best. Can't your butcher order the stuff specially for you? Just keep it in the freezer - it freezes well.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Peter Ramone » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks for that. I will investigate. One question, If I freeze the back fat, and then add it to fresh pork which I then convert into sausage, can I Freeze the sausage or will it be affected by the use of frozen back fat.
Peter Ramone
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:06 pm

I do it without any problem.

You want to mince the fat while it is frozen or semi-frozen anyhow - that keeps it from turning into mush.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum.
There is no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer, so never be afraid to ask.
Anyway Aris has given you the best answer, but whenever you buy meat that is fatty cut some of it off and store in the freezer for use in sausage making later, don't worry if it isn't pork it's only there for succulence.

regrads
sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:00 pm

I do find different flavours come with different types of fat. Back fat has its own flavour and texture, and caul fat (fat around the internal organs like the kidneys) has another. Experiment a bit - that's what makes sausagemaking fun :)

If you buy Tescos value pork chops - try get some with alot of fat on them - this is back fat. My butcher charges 1.99 per kilo for back fat. A bit expensive perhaps - but you don't need alot.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:38 am

Hi, Peter I've just found this site they Pork Back Fat.
http://www.stevenson-pork.co.uk/products.htm
I hope this helps you.
Regards
Carl
Carl
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:12 am

I know this is a little late but I was in my local Morrisons yesterday and noticed on the shelf packets of back fat, for not a lot of money. I know these have the rind on but this is easily removed with a good knife.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners