New Reber

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

New Reber

Postby Wilf » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Just got 3kg Reber off Franco and this is the first go thro it, must say i like the smaller nozzle as I had been using the one with the FW2684 mincer but was a bit limited to size. Also found a decent butcher where I could get proper fat from with the pork
Few air small pockets but pleased with result
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:10 pm

Sausages look smashing Wilf. Nice one! What recipe did you use and how did they taste.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:28 pm

The ones on the right are franco's Chiang Mai Thai mix and the other is his Mexican mix but I did add more Jalapeno flakes. We do have a lot of chilli flakes, sweet and hot smoked paprika's and such like at home, but thought we would play it same to begin with. They both taste great but did use the top end of the recommended seasoning mix per kg.
Might have to get the BBQ out soon even tho its snowing
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:16 am

Wilf

Well done, looks like you used collagen casings , any reason for that .

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:09 pm

No reason except that was all I had, I have used hogs casings before with no problem but read on here the sheep are a little bit more delicate but quite honestly I found the collagen fairly delicate as well, when they split they run like a pair ot tights, at least there is a bit of stretch in naturals, I think I will try sheeps next time as i prefer the natural skin, are they really that delicate?
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:56 pm

No, sheep casings aren't that bad to use. Just a little more care is involved - nothing drastic.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:22 am

Sheeps casing are fine when you get to know them. you can also fit alot more casings on the nozzel. wilf do you make your own paprika?
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:37 pm

I think I will try sheeps next time, sounds easier to get on nozzle to start with as collagen slide on fine for the first bit then get stuck.

Shaun - We buy in paprika for our chilli products by the kilo, as we make chilli rubs and things, but we are looking into getting a smoker this year to smoke some chillis, so you never know for the future
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:50 pm

@Wilf
If you are looking at buying a cold smoker for smoking chillis then I'd say forget it as I've tried it and it doesn't really work (although I'd thoroughly recommend one for smoking your meat products).

If you want to smoke chillis (a la chipotle) you need to hot smoke them.
For this the easiest way is to use a kettle type barbeque.

A very good friend of mine and respected chilli guru by the name of Blaise Lawrence (who has been involved in chipotle production in the UK for a good few years now and even has a chilli variety named after him) has shown me how to do it at home in this way.

If you want more info on his method then let me know and I'll post it here.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:09 am

Spuddy,

I'd like that info if possible.
I am growing 'Lemon Drop' this year for the first time (it's an Aji that has a strong citrus flavour) along with 'Albertos Locoto' and would love to try smoking some of them at the end of summer.
I usually pickle some for winter use, but a batch of chipotles in the cupboard would be a nice alternative.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Spuddy, I was looking into hot smoking them and i think Blaise gave me the info I use on my site

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/ch ... #chipoltle

and he's just appeared back on my Forums
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:49 am

Blaise's method is different to the one on your site Wilf although that's definitely him on your forum.
I have invited him to post it here himself but for some reason he can't reach this site. It's odd as he has no problems with any other websites.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Wilf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi Spuddy, I know Blaise asked me about this site and why he can't post and I couldnt help him as my board is exactly the same as this one to which he can post as a member
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun May 01, 2005 10:26 am

Back to the casings...........I have just used the sheeps casings and found them much easier to slide on the nozzle, stuff, and twist afterwards than the collagen ones, they had less air pockets and actually looked better at the end, the only minor trouble I had was a knot had formed when soaking so spent a while unravelling, sheep casings on the left collagen in middle

also just smoked a piece of brisket, I think some cureNo.1 would have been better to keep the meat pink?

Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun May 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Wow Wilf that brisket looks good enough to eat. :D
What did you smoke it in?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beginners