New Reber

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Wilf » Sun May 01, 2005 6:40 pm

Not much left now Spuddy, I bagged it overnight in a chilli BBQ Rub with some BBQ sauce and then hot smoked it with Hickory in a Bradley Smoker, carved it off and served with a chilli BBQ sauce...........tasted great
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun May 01, 2005 7:06 pm

I'm not surprised there's not much left, it looks fantastic.
I thought the Bradley was just a cold smoker, does it do hot as well? (might have to get one if it does)
You say you did'nt use a nitrate cure, so what did you do to it i.e. was it a salt cure rub you used or just a marinade? Knowing your history I assume some chilli input there somewhere. :)
Could you post your recipe as I'm sure others (and me) would like to try it after seeing your pictures?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Wilf » Sun May 01, 2005 8:48 pm

The Bradley is a very controllable hot smoker, it is possible to cold smoke in it but needs some modification to keep the heat down, I extend the distance between the burner box and the main smoke compartment to keep it cooler, but hot smoking is very easy in it.
I will get the recipe typed in for you, and your right it did involve a few chillis, just to give it a bit of a tingle.

Recipe is now in the Smoking section
Wilf
Registered Member

Smoking at last!

Postby Blaise » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Hi Folks

I know it�s been a while but I have been busy with one thing or another�you know how it goes!
Well I suppose I had better make this posting in reply to Paul�s invitation�Thanks buddy

The method I use is as Paul said, and that is to use a Kettle style BBQ for smoking purposes. It�s ideal for this, especially if it has vents to adjust the air and smoke levels. It�s a lengthy process so make sure you have a day or so to spare�but the results are well worth the effort! What I do is to select the peppers for smoking and place them on a foil sheet, which has been pierced with small slits cut with a knife. Fold up the edges to make a square tray and set them to one side. Then, place charcoal on the bottom of the BBQ and get them up and running. When they are nice and hot distribute them evenly. For smoking purposes I simply use fallen oak that I have previously cut into small chunks�around the size of a charcoal briquette.
Simply place 3 to 4 of these on top of the hot coals and replace the grill. Then add your tray of peppers and close the lid. You will need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don�t burn. Experiment with the vents and the lid if you find the heat too intense. As the coals expire you will need to keep adding a few more to keep things moving, as well as more oak to keep the smoke plentiful.

The whole process can take a day and a half to complete depending on the density of the peppers used.
When they are ready they will be considerably smaller than they started out. You need them to be smoked but not cremated though�lol Ideally they will be a deep rusty brown colour and will still be slightly pliable. The effort is certainly worth the net result�So what are you waiting for�Get smoking!

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Hot Regards

Blaise :wink:
Blaise
Newly Registered

Postby Spuddy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Blaise old buddy!
Glad you finally made it. :D I assume you got your browser problem sorted out?
Feel free to introduce yourself in the "Chatter" section and tell everyone a little about yourself.
All the best

Paul

PS I'm known as Spuddy round here.
Last edited by Spuddy on Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:50 pm

Blaise
Welcome to the forum. I asume you are a chillie head :?: Will look forward to your future posts, Don't be shy.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:19 pm

Hiya Blaise good to see your still around!
Wilf
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners