Hollow sausage centers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hollow sausage centers

Postby g sharp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi all...I'm new to this group and have a question. I have been making cured sausages for a few years now and always have the same problem. Hollow centers. They kind of remind me of a geode but not as drastic. They taste great but could look better. I make about 50 lbs at a time and dry them in a freezer that I converted. The freezer can maintain constant temp and humidity. We dry @ 50 degrees F. and 50% humidity. The drying process takes about two months. I think they might be drying too fast? In the past I have increased the humidity to 70% but, the results look like a science project gone bad. Lots of mold (not all good). When I buy cured sausages they are always tight all the way through the sausage. I must be doing something wrong. Any info on this would be very helpful..
Thanks. G
g sharp
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners