Sausage stabiliser

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sausage stabiliser

Postby Bangermuncher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:25 am

My sausages are coming along in leaps and bounds now but I need to buy more rusk,yes I've seen the recipe posted here but I'm probably going to buy from the main site.
Does anyone know the ingredients in it?
Only the last lot I bought elsewhere had lactose as a stabiliser and
A)I'm not convinced you need stabiliser.
B)I need to make sausages for a friend who is dairy intolerant so lactose is out,she can handle wheat though so plain rusk won't present a problem.
I just don't want to spend the time making it if I can save a lot of labour by buying it,buying a 4kg bag for £9.99 sounds preferable to me rather than making small amounts and grating it(I don't have a blitzer)and getting it wrong.
I've given my friend the addy of the forum and hopefully she will join soon but I owe her some sausages as she kindly gave me the grinder I'm using now,plastic it may be but it works a treat and I want a spare in case I break it!
I've got two old cast iron grinders and they don't come close.
I know it sounds daft,but I'm happy to spend £70 on a decent stuffer yet want to stick with the old plastic grinder :wink:
Anyway,she's been waiting a long time for her sausages while I've experimented so it's about time I coughed up!
BM
Bangermuncher

Return to Beginners