size does matter

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

size does matter

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:10 pm

I have been using the small electric mincing / sausage filler that is sold on this site and it really is very good, and I am a happy little wizzard. However, it does not seem to matter which size mincing plate I use the sausage mix always comes out very fine. Can you sell me a plate or give me some advice that would give me a corser mix?
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:56 pm

Semi freezing the meat before mincing might help. I believe Franco recommends it.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:01 pm

thanks Oddley but, and excuse me for being so thick, will freezing the meat give me any different texture in the finished product?
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Yes it will. The screw of the mincer will mush up none semi frozen meat. Whereas it won't on the semi frozen, you tend to get a courser mix.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Brilliant, thank you Oddley, just the advice I needed - I will try again.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:14 pm

The only thing I would add is: Make sure the meat is only semi-frozed (i.e still pliable) as if it is too hard you will still end up with a mush as the meat will break up too much as it is forced through the screw feeder worm (something I found out only a couple of weeks ago when I left it in the freezer for too long).
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:08 am

Sorry I meant to post a reply a while ago :oops: however I tried with the semi frozen meat and it did work but I still found the mince too fine. Following this I took the finest mincing plate I got with my mincer and drilled some wider bored holes in it, and that seems to have done the trick.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:23 am

welsh wizard wrote:Sorry I meant to post a reply a while ago :oops: however I tried with the semi frozen meat and it did work but I still found the mince too fine. Following this I took the finest mincing plate I got with my mincer and drilled some wider bored holes in it, and that seems to have done the trick.

Cheers WW

What size holes does you original plate have?
There are several different sizes of hole plattes available and if you like the sausage filling very coarse then there are plates available with only four huge holes. But yes drilling biger holes is a good idea for as long the holes are not to big. Otherwise the bridge between the holes will become weak and might brake as soon a pice of thougher meat hit it.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:01 am

Thanks Othmar

I cant remember what size the small plate was but I just drilled a few of the wholes out and presto hey I got a much better mix. I recieved two plates with the mixer one small and one not so small, although the small one now is the large one - if you catch my drift!

I note your comments about the drill holes weakening the plate but up to now no problem.

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners