Burgers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby cumberland-sausage » Sat May 07, 2005 4:30 pm

My personal recipe for burgers is just minced steak, some finely chopped raw onion, salt and pepper.

I either shape by hand or use an egg ring. Either way they never fall apart for me.
cumberland-sausage
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat May 07, 2005 4:56 pm

I agree with you cumberland-sausage. I use spices in very small quantities to enhance the flavour of the beef.

You know what it's like some beef you buy is a bit tasteless. So you need to bring out the flavour. I don't think anyone would like it if you overpowered a burger with spices.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun May 08, 2005 12:08 am

Given to me by an Aussie; the best burger recipe I've tried is this, it's unbelievable but it works.

1lb minced beef @25-30%fat (cheap supermarket beef mince)
3-4 large raw tiger prawns
1tsp cornflour
1 eggwhite
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Whizz up the prawns with the cornflour, egg white, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor to a paste. Mix in the beef thouroughly and form into burgers.

I know it sounds odd but it's one of them Aussie type "surf'n'turf" things. You end up never wanting a "normal" burger again. Good as a sausage filling too.
Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by Spuddy on Tue May 10, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Deer Man » Sun May 08, 2005 11:19 am

I often cheat and do this!

Venison minced 7lb
belly pork minced 3lb
1 packet of stuffing (flavour is up to you, sage & onion, rosemary etc)
Mix and press, easy and good! :wink:
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun May 08, 2005 5:33 pm

All very well if you've got plenty of cheap venison knocking around.
It's deer round here though :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help that one :roll:
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby cumberland-sausage » Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 pm

Spuddy, with reference to your aussy sausage recipe. Aussies are big into their fusion food aren't they, ie mixing western food with asian etc. Thats probably where the prawns come into it. In Thailand, Malaysia etc they use a lot of fish sauce in meat dishes as a seasoning. So I was thinking, the above recipe could be adapted and just use fish sauce instead of prawns (as prawns are expensive in comparison)

If it bbq weather at the weekend I'll try both ways and let you know how they come out
cumberland-sausage
Registered Member

Postby cumberland-sausage » Tue May 10, 2005 5:21 pm

burger recipe i mean :-)
cumberland-sausage
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue May 10, 2005 5:41 pm

Fish sauce is a great idea, I use it quite a lot at but have never thought of putting it in the burgers (I think it'll work well).

BTW I've just edited the recipe to point out that the prawns should be large ones. If you are using smaller ones then add a few more.

Let us know how they compare.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 12, 2005 11:47 am

Well my Lakeland burger press duly arrived and I set to work with my new electric mincer and when I got home from work spent the afternoon seeing what I could come up with in the way of 3 hefty joints of topside and a small tray of pork belly.
I didn't follow any particular recipes but used some Oddleys suggestions.
Also, I failed to make any notes and just added ingredients as I went and then dropped a small bit in the pan to see what it was like.

I made 3 types of burger, 2 based on mainly beef with pork belly, finely chopped onions (raw), salt, black pepper, dried thyme, dried sage and some ground mace. The third was a bit special.

One was left as is.
One was given the addition of worcester sauce.
The last batch contained:- Finely chopped raw onions, finely chopped sun dried tomatoes, dried basil, salt, black pepper, finely chopped capers, tomato puree, tomato ketchup and finely chopped garlic.
These tasted beautiful and we had a couple for our dinner. Despite my wife's reservations at what I was putting in the mix ("I think you're overdoing that"), she confirmed that this was the best burger she had ever tasted. Maybe I should jot down method, ingredients etc as I go...

The Lakeland burger press worked pretty well. The only downside is that quite a bit of mix works its way down past the plunger and after doing about 85 big juicy burgers, found the whole body was full of mix. This then made a few more burgers, just a case of undoing the plunger and retrieving the mix. Waste not want not. It is also now believable that 500 wax disks will get used in no time at all, you use 2 per burger so that was the best part of 180 gone in 1 batch. That's 1 drawer of the new freezer full up, now what to do for the other 3 :lol:

Thanks for the advice, regards Paul Kribs.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby markh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Oddley, I know this is an oldish thread, but what type of smoked paprika do you use, Sweet or Hot?

I'm doing some burgers tonight using the hot, but I notice that the spice mix is the same for the jerky recipe on another thread - I have some mince beef curing in the fridge to try it tomorow - so I wanted to check.
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Hi Markh,

You are right. :)
Last edited by Oddley on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby markh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:27 pm

Oddley,

Just finished (eating) the burgers - brilliant! I will have to try with the sweet paprika.

I used the Onion Ring method for forming the burgers from another thread - worked a treat but maybe I need to be a little less heavy handed compressing the mix into the rings :oops:

Can I ask what people would advise with a really good starter meat ?

I have just minced a nice piece of matured beef rib with a good mix of fat and lean. I trimmed some of it lean for the jerky but still have a few pounds to experiment with!
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:08 pm

Oddley, are those parts by weight or volume?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:31 pm

I use grams. I normally double or treble the quantities then keep it in a sealed plastic box. Ready for use.

Markh there are so many things you can do with minced beef. If it is really good beef I would try not to mask the flavour too much. I would make some of the old favourites.

Mincemeat and onion in gravy
Cottage pie
mince pie
meat balls
and of course sausages.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby markh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:06 pm

So often when sausages are mentioned it seems to be either pork or lamb or a mix of the two - I am sure the recipes are there - the problem I find with such extensive forums is tracking them down. :roll:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good all beef sausage recipe?
markh
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners