Sausage Cooking School in UK

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sausage Cooking School in UK

Postby remy » Sat May 14, 2005 7:34 am

I want to learn how to make sausages, bacon and ham. Is there a school I could go to here in the UK?
remy
Newly Registered

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 14, 2005 8:51 am

Remy, I am relatively new to sausage making myself but have succeeded thus far soley due to reading this forum. I spent a lot of time over the course of 2 weeks reading and visiting any URL's within the postings. If you have any questions you will find, like me, you will get sound advice here. You do not need to go to a sausage making school. I have actually just finished (1/2 hour ago) making a batch of Franco's Goan Vindaloo mix sausages using 3 legs of lamb. I have linked them and they are sitting in the fridge now permeating. They look and smell superb, and I have no doubt they will taste great.
All equipment, casings, mixes etc can be purchased from http://www.sausagemaking.org and the service is very good. All you need then is the meat.

regards Paul Kribs
Have now uploaded a picture of this mornings efforts.
http://www.btinternet.com/~happydudevir/vindaloosausages.JPG
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Sausages

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat May 14, 2005 11:08 am

Guys,

I too have gleaned info from reading the forums etc, I am today embarking on half a Pig ...just picked it up and am going to make some streaky and back bacon, a dry cure (HFW Style) ham and some sausages using some of Francos mixes and some of my own..will post pics when done .....
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sat May 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Like all the others I to have started from this site, we now make all our sausages, cure our bacon, smoke things, and vacuum pack them (which keeps everything a lot tidier in fridge or freezer), have got the cures now only salamis to crack next. All equipment and supplys were bought from here as well, as you get a great service, and plenty of help on these forums.
Wilf
Registered Member

Pics

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Thu May 19, 2005 4:28 pm

Well after a good few hours of butchering and salting and making stuff, these were the sausages !....

Ended up with some of Franco's Breadcrumb, some Cumberland, some Cumberland that I flavoured with Dry Cider. I then did some of Franco's Chroizo mix, along with the Cure #2. made some of my own with Ginger, Chillis and Lime (YUMMY !!), then some Pork and Pesto (Home Made - VERY Garlicky !), and then some Pork and Herb...I cured a side of Belly and Loin for Streaky and Back...(Tried the Streaky yesterday and was very nice indeed)....Finally (well I did it 1st really) I boned out and put in a dry salt cure a 7.5 kg leg which I followed HFW's receipe in the River Cottage Cookbook, this is currently curing for another 20 days then it gets hung for 7 - 8 months....SUCH a long time ! LOL...

I have the Chorizo curing in a cupboard made in my underhouse garrage, Temp 54F and RH 70%, bought a little gizomo on Ebay to watch the Temp and RH....these should be ready in appx 5 weeks...

All in all a good afternoon / evenings work, just have to get the next one planned !.....
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu May 19, 2005 6:42 pm

Very nice - what are the dark ones at the top right?
aris
Site Admin

Sausages

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Thu May 19, 2005 6:56 pm

Aris,

From top left......Cumberland, Breadcrumb, Chorizo, then from bottom left....Pork & Pesto, Thai Ginger & Chilli, Pork & Heb, Cumberland with Cider....I went from one mix to the next on a couple to help cut down on wastage so there was one or two that were a mixture of two types !....

Got the linking "kinda" ok for a 1st attempt, need to practice linking in 3's though !...

Took about 2 hours to bone out and skin the half pig and then cut up for mincing, then quite a few hours to do the rest !, was pretty "porked out" by midnight !...
Can't wait to do the next one though, probably mid June, if not sooner....

Will have to get my hands on a Reber Stuffer though having seen it in action on TV this week....

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 19, 2005 7:44 pm

That's it then, everyone round to Yorkies. They look and sound delicious Yorkie... There's always something about pictures of sausages that gets me salivating..

Thus far I have only concentrated on making sausages but later on may embark on some bacon, even sent off for a proper boning knife from Scobies so thats a step in the right direction methinks.

mmmmmm.. sausages :lol:

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

:O)

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Thu May 19, 2005 8:12 pm

Thanks Paul,

It's not a great pic however, and I should have "documented" the whole day really but was too busy !...so thought I would get all the bangers together for a team pic ! lol....

Will be taking more notes next time so I can "bulk up" as and when required, of course I tested little "patties" of the mixes before I stuffed the casings, however the tastes do change as far as I am concerned once stuffed and allowed to "bloom" overnight in the fridge.

Mark ...AKA...Yorkie Porkie
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri May 20, 2005 5:18 am

Like the look of your sausages Mark :lol:

And some lovely flavours you've got there too.

You mentioned that the Chorizo will be ready in 4-5 weeks, but you may want to reduce that a little if you have used hog casings. I find that after 3-4 weeks my hog cased Salami/Chorizo's are just about right. The few that have been allowed to hang for 5 weeks tend to be a bit too firm for my liking, and they also start to become fibrous in texture, fine for cooking but not so good raw.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Fri May 20, 2005 9:01 am

Thanks for that info Platypus, will have a look after 4 and maybe leave one for 5 and one for 6 to see the difference. I like them very dry myself, almost like Biltong I guess... :D
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

More Sausages !

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Fri May 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Hiya,

Got some Collagen skins from sm.org this morning so thought I better give them a try !....Didn't expect them not to fit on my stuffing tube though ! D'oh..

Anyway progress was a little slow but made some below...

Did one batch of Beef & Guiness with Onions & Mushroom and one of Pork with Thyme, Parsley & Chives...As I used some of the pork to mix with the beef I did a 70 % Meat one for the Pork and a 80% for the beef....

Results very tasty for the beef, which I had to cook as the meat had been frozen before, I had some with some of my back bacon cured last week mmmmmm !...The Pork I will try tomorrow and probably freeze some !

Image Image

Image Image
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri May 20, 2005 6:58 pm

Yorkie,

Please post your recipes!
aris
Site Admin

Recipe

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Fri May 20, 2005 7:45 pm

Artis,

Here's the recipes used.....

Beef & Guiness...

600g Lean beef (Used rump from the freezer for this time)
200g Belly Pork
18g Mushrooms
7 - 8 g Finely Chopped Onion ( I actually minced it with the beef and let infuse overnight)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
65g Rusk
110g Guiness (appx, may need more, add more after 1st taste)

Mix meat with dry ingriedients then add the Guiness, leave for 10 mins to rest then try a small pattie...add more liquid if required...

Pork & Herb

800g Belly / Shoulder (60 / 40)
65g Rusk
25g Herb (FRESH Thyme, Parsley & Chives finely chopped)
110g Water (see above)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Ginger
Appx 1/4 tsp Fresh Nutmeg

Mix and rest as above

Stuf into casings and enjoy !!

If anyone trys them let me know how you get on !....you could switch the Guiness for red Wine or even some nice Port.....and switch the Onion for caralised Shallot

Regards,

Mark
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Fri May 20, 2005 8:02 pm

OMG my spelling is bad ! :wink:
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners