Thanks!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Thanks!

Postby Hepsibah » Tue May 17, 2005 2:12 pm

I have been searching for the basic information on sausagemaking so I could make pork sausage. It's all right here and there was nothing I needed to know that had been missed out. So, I know I didn't actually ask any questions on the forum but you've still been a great help so thanks! :D
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Hepsibah

If you do have any questions feel free to ask, somebody on here usually knows the answer.

If you get time please tell us about your sausagemaking.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks Oddley. I've just finished stuffing a dozen pork and sage sausages. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for you to have a look.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 pm

This is a really helpful forum, if it's not on here then ask, and I for one look forward to seeing a pic of the results of your efforts. You can munch them with confidence knowing that you controlled what went into them.. it's so much more enjoyable than eating commercial sausages.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Wed May 18, 2005 9:00 am

Well, here they are.
I don't have any special equipment yet so it's slow going. I use an old spong mincer to grind the meat then a funnel with a wooden spoon to shove the meat down it into the skins.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed May 18, 2005 9:06 am

Well done! They look good. More importantly how did they taste?
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Wed May 18, 2005 9:10 am

I've no idea, we're having them for tea tonight. Bangers and mash. :D
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed May 18, 2005 9:23 am

So did sharpening the blades help?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed May 18, 2005 9:23 am

Must say they do look nice enough to eat :lol: Have you tasted them yet??

I know it's hard going using a manual mincer, I was doing that myself until a few weeks ago. As for filling them using a funnel, that must have took some time. I utilise a similar method to use up the remainder of the mix left in the sausage stuffer. When the stuffer plunger bottoms out there is usually enough mix left in the conical end to make 2 or 3 more sausages, so I also bring out the wooden spoon. I used to make flat patties and fry them straight away.. sausagemakers perk I suppose.

Did you not try linking them? It takes a bit of fathoming out at first, but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy. There is very good advice and instuctional links (excuse the pun) on this forum. If you do try linking them in future, try not to overstuff the sausage casing as this can cause it to burst.. as I found out.

Well judging by the results I assume that you will now be continuing to make sausages, If so a stuffer would make life a lot easier..

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Wed May 18, 2005 9:49 am

Sharpening the blades made a huge difference. The lamb sausages I made last week were great, much better than any I've bought from a shop. :)
I would love to try linking them but my funnel isn't long enough to fit more than four sausage skins on it.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 am

What kind of funnel are you using? Does it take the full diameter of the hog casing?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hepsibah » Wed May 18, 2005 5:52 pm

We had those for tea and they were great. :D
Since I was going to be making some more this evening anyway, I thought I'd just take a picture and show you what I'm using.
The skins are the collagen ones, and the sausage mix is leg and belly pork with home grown leek and salt and pepper.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed May 18, 2005 6:16 pm

I should soon be testing the LEM sausage stuffer and jerky maker. If everything is OK with it, it would be ideal for stuffing small amounts of sausage and also be quite cheap.

This may be a way for you to go. I'll test the LEM as soon as I receive it from Franco. Then review it as quick as I can. Then you and Franco will know how good or not it is.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed May 18, 2005 6:29 pm

A good cheap sausage gun can be obtained from the web site below at just over �15 it's got to be a bargain

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl;jsess ... =A&id=5063

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:35 pm

Blimey, has it really been more than a year since I first made sausages? :shock:
I've made quite a few since then, especially since getting the mincer/sausage stuffer attatchment for the kenwood chef. Just before christmas last year I bought half a pig. I made about twenty pounds of the most delicious sausage I've ever tasted. It wasn't enough though, with the five of us it only took about a month to eat them all.
This year will be different. We moved house and now have an acre of land so we have four piglets coming in two weeks. Gloucestershire Old Spots, a traditional breed with loads of flavour and one of them is going to be exclusively for sausages. I can hardly wait! :D
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners