Ground venison too old?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Ground venison too old?

Postby Rpods » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 am

I ground some venison and mixed it with 30% pork scrap a week and a half ago. It was kept cold and then frozen within 36 hours. I set it in my garage to thaw as my garage should not have exceeded 40 degrees. It took about 2 days to completely thaw. My concern is that it has been thawed since Monday. It has been relitively colder in the garage (30-35 degr.) My intentions were to do 1/2 breakfast sausage and half summer sausage. Would I be better off making it all summer sausage at this point or would I be okay with my original plan? My thoughts are that with the nitrates and the curing process of the summer sausage that it would kill any potential bacteria. Am I way off base here or over reacting? I would not be able to mix this sausage until tomorrow night. I know this is kind of a loaded question but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Rpods
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners