intro and question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby pajero64 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for your replies but I am just trying to make bratwurst like the ones I used to get when I lived in Germany,I never asked the shnell imbis man what type or where he got them from but I know the ones I buy in the UK are not the same as I used to get from him, so maybe you can give me a recipe to try its probably not so much the ingredients as the method of preparing I need to know.
pajero64
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:19 pm

can there be a confusion of terms here? bratwurst translates as "fry sausage." that is probably "folks deutsch," as i suppose a berliner would say "gebratene wurst." there are german sausages that may be emulsified, and some people might even fry them. things like a frankfurter or vienna sausage. but they are really made to be steamed, with sauerkraut or red cabbage etc. some people might refer to them as bratwurst, but i do not believe that is as correct term for this product. i think ring bologna falls into this category.

finally, there are some people on this board that advocate hand mixing for 5 minutes to improve the quality/moisture of the final product. i agree with them.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Re: intro and question

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:47 pm

pajero64 wrote:Hi, I am just about to embark on trying to make my favourite sausage which is the German Bratwurst, I have been reading quite a lot about it on this great forum and have bought a elctric mincer and a hand operated stuffer, I have read that the meat for the Bratwurst needs emulsifying but looking at the cost of these is quite high, I have seen this one on ebay and wondered if this would be capable of emulsifying the meat to make a decent Bratwurst any advice would be appreciated. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waring-Bowl-cutte ... 1c13d887d1

Ignoring the debate about bratwurst (but the only one with a PDO is minced - not emulsified :wink: ). If we replace 'bratwurst' with 'sausage' in your post it will make it easier to answer. After all, I'm guessing that you don't care what it's called as long as you like it!

The answer to your question is yes, the Waring can be used as a substitute for a bowl cutter. I use a Magimix 5200 in a similar way to make hot-dogs. Keep the mix below 15°C using crushed ice, otherwise it will split.

I hope that helps.

By the way, welcome, and that's a fantastic price for the Waring.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby pajero64 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi wheels
You are absolutely correct, I will try a few recipes until I find the right one for me.

I found a brand new waring cutter on a clearance site for £180 so of course I bought it so can now try all types of bratwurst
pajero64
Registered Member

Postby pajero64 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:00 pm

pajero64
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 pm

phil

help a yank out. what is "PDO?" you used this abbreviation in your reply.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby pajero64 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:13 pm

This is what I believe he is refering to.

There are currently organisations in a number of UK counties such as Lincolnshire who are seeking European Protected designation of origin (PDO) for their sausages so that they can be made only in the appropriate region and to an attested recipe and quality
pajero64
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Yep, that's it. Not only is the name registered, but the production area and method of production is also controlled. For some pork products, that we even be down to the breed, weight, fat content of the meat. Prosciutto di Parma is a famous one.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Good Morning Gentlemen,
This PDO nonsense is all getting beyond me. I know that some commercial interests like to protect their name, products and/or inventions.
Typical EU crap if you ask me.
Tell the Chinese and they will be rolling in the isles laughing.
These so-called brainwaves in Brussels better fix their currency before they stuff up the world economy instead of worrying about this PDO rubbish.
No doubt there will be some comments made on my post but my shoulders are big enough to carry this burden and frankly, I don't give a hoot.
Let's just make some good tasting sausages and promote forum mateship!!
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I agree with the sentiment, but what they also do is allow us to see the production methods in order to be able to copy them!

In that way, they're very useful to anyone who wants to make a sausage/ham etc 'in the style of' a certain registered product.

Phil
Last edited by wheels on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 pm

wheels wrote:I agree with the sentiment, but what they also do is allow us to see the production methods in order to be able to copy them!

What's to copy? Its not like its a secret like the recipe for Coca Cola or the Colonel's Fried Chicken batter. What do they want, for others not to be able to fry chicken or cure hams. These are recipes and by that cannot be patented and for good reason. I guarantee you that most eveyone I know could care less if it was parma ham or parma-like ham as long as it tasted good. Of course I'm not against paying the fella who invented the recipe for parma ham a gratuity for his creation and if any of the EU people would just direct me to that person I'll gladly mail him a check.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

It's not for me to defend (or otherwise) the PDO system - and it wouldn't be relevant to this thread.

The reason I referred to the PDO was to see how (probably) the most famous (of the many) type of bratwurst is made in the knowledge that it was unlikely that anyone could argue that the method isn't authentic.

That said, the original poster doesn't want the type of sausage that this is; he wants an emulsified sausage authentic or not (and for that matter he couldn't give a monkey's about its authenticity).

Perhaps, we should be concentrating on helping him achieve just that.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 am

I agree, most of what has been said hasn't been relevant to the original question and sausage making should be fun and not discouraged by knit picking and splitting hairs. JMO
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 pm

the chorizo kid wrote:can there be a confusion of terms here? bratwurst translates as "fry sausage." ...

I doubt it. Some think the "brat" in bratwurst comes from "braten" for the fry sausage translation. Some think it comes from "brat" - finely minced meat, for a description of the texture.

In the US, at least, weisswurst is often referred to as "white bratwurst" and is an emulsified sausage, with various makers claiming "old world" or "old German" recipes and traditions.

My suggestion to pajero64 is to consider a weisswurst among his potential recipes, if he wants an emulsified bratwurst. There are also some regional brats that appear to be finely minced or emulsified, based on the photos. Honestly, I think the OP can save a couple hundred pounds and just run his mince through the fine plate a couple of times and do as well, with any recipe he chooses.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Moski » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:04 am

the chorizo kid wrote:can there be a confusion of terms here? bratwurst translates as "fry sausage." that is probably "folks deutsch," as i suppose a berliner would say "gebratene wurst."

The old German word brat refers to the minced meat. Look at the specifications for the different regional styles and some even specify the size ranges for the mince. Thuringen, Franconian, Schweinfurt, and Wurtzburg Bratwurst refer to the mince for their juiciness. I lived there for 3.5 years and never had an emulsified Bratwurst.
Moski
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners