Casing Help

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Casing Help

Postby thostorey » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:01 pm

I hope I can get a quick answer on this question. I intend to make a few sausages tomorrow and�.

I just unpackaged my hog casings! It looks like there are multiple strands together in one central rope. Could this be? Anyway, I took out about � metre of this �rope� and it is now soaking in water.

Do I separate the individual strands, if that�s what they are? Some look a bit ratty but I got them from Stuffers so they should be of reasonable quality.

Sorry for such a basic question but I don�t think I expected the casings to look quite like they do.

Thanks!
Tom in Qualicum Beach
thostorey
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:18 pm

I don't know about the central rope but once untangled they should be in long individual strands. Only soak as much as you need. Put the rest back in the salt or salt solution the casings came in, and in the bottom of the fridge.

If you have the time soak overnight or for at least two hours. Overnight is best. Before using run water through the casings too clean out any residual salt.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi thostorey.

I see you are from the Vancouver Island. I am in the Lower Mainland so basically just around the corner from you.

To your question. Hog Casings are bundeld in in two ways, either rolled in to a ball or in bundels tied with a string in the middle.
It is best to cut the string and store the casing loosly. When ever you need an amount pull it from this loose bundle. Make sure you find an end and do not just pull any string out as this is a sure recipe to end up with a tangeld mess.
These bundels can hold a few single strands to make up the required amout of 20, 30 or 40 meters.
Stuffers is a very good choice to buy all your sausage making requirement from in North America.

I hope this answers you questions
Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby thostorey » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am

Thanks for all the help on this. I've gotten the casings I have figured out; a bunch of individual casing strands all together in the 'rope'. In cutting the rope where I did, I wound up with a lot of casings cut at that length. Than's not a bad thing. In making my first batch of sausages yesterday, I found that length about right to feed onto the stuffing horn, that was the hardest part of the hole procedure. We had some of the sausage last night for supper - GREAT - my wife said it was the best she had ever had! I only made up three pounds of pork butt with no added fat. Once through a 3/16" plate, spiced then into the casing. I found the texture and fat content to be just right for my taste. I am reluctant to try different spice combinations because we liked this combo but what the heck! Live a little :D
Tom in Qualicum Beach
thostorey
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:08 am

Tom

I find that once I have soaked my casings, I then flush through again with cold water and find they glide onto the filling nozzle very easily. The water lubricates the plastic nozzle.

Regards, Paul kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby sara » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:48 pm

How long do Casings last for in the fridge?
sara
Newly Registered

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:54 am

How long do Casings last for in the fridge?
Hi sara, on a couple of occasions I have bought a hank (100 yds) of casings, I untangled them into individual strands, and put each strand into a ziplock baggie with some kosher salt. The first time they lasted in my fridge until I used them up a year later; I'm on my second hank now.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners