casings - do they smell?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

casings - do they smell?

Postby legless » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:21 am

Hi,

first post and first sausages! We made our first batch last night, are hog casings meant to smell? These smelt quite strongly I wonder if they were ok?

Jo
legless
Newly Registered

Postby Jonty » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 am

Hey legless,

Welcome to the forum. Quick question, how long did you rinse out the casings for? They do tend to whiff a little at first, but after a good soak and a rinse they shouldn't be too strong.

Cheers
Jonty
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:51 am

Legless

Jonty is correct in that Hog casings have a distinct smell, sheeps casings also have a smell which in my opinion is even stronger than the Hogs. You will find there is nothing wrong with them, just follow Jonty's advice and rinse them well and give them a good soak before using.

My wife normally remarks at the smell of the meat and casings when I take over the kitchen for making sausages, but she doesn't turn her nose up at the results.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby legless » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:49 pm

thank you, that's a relief. just off to cook one to feed to husband and check its ok!!!
legless
Newly Registered

Re: casings - do they smell?

Postby othmar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 am

legless wrote:Hi,

first post and first sausages! We made our first batch last night, are hog casings meant to smell? These smelt quite strongly I wonder if they were ok?

Jo

Hi legless.
Welcome to the Forum. Yes all natural sausage casing "smells" as the other writers said each has its own smell.
Soak them well before you use them, about one hour before actual use rinse them of under running water one more time and then put them in a dish with fresh clean cold water until you use them. It is important to rins the casing also on the inside. I do this by running a little water to the inside and then pull the casing gently trough my fingers. I do this again just before I slip the casing on to the stuffing tube, this gives them yet another inside rinse plus serves as lubrication. But they always will smell a bit and you need not to worry. If they are off they have a distinct sour smell.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Beginners