Chorizo & Fermentation Cultures

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Chorizo & Fermentation Cultures

Postby markh » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:40 pm

Hi, I recently made some Chorizo to Len Poli's 'Spanish' recipe, tho' I ommitted the phosphate (can't find a source) and substituted saltpetre @ 10.25% for cure #2. (Note @ ~350 Nitrate ppm to meat - I have previously browsed these excellent forums!) Might have got it wrong tho...

I don't have a temp/humidity controlled envionment (yet... :) ) - if I wish to dry them can I just allow them to dehydrate in the fridge - since I intend to cook/freeze them when they are 'ready' anyway - or should I worry about incipient food poisoning :(

Also, what is the best way to store the LS25 starter culture - alas I do not read German - Does 'Bis zur Verwndung bei unter -15 C lagern!' as on my recently arrived pack mean 'For maximum life store at' (or is it 'Store at this temp and you kill it ... )

Any advice appreciated
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:13 pm

Welcome to the forum markh

If the recipe is the one using the ingredients below. Then I've had a look, and if you calculate it on the lean meat (which I prefer as fat is mostly impermeable) you will see the ppm you have is a little off. If you calculate it on the meat and fat you are a little off.

Nothing to worry about though.

I calculated it because you didn't sound too sure you were right.

2.3 lb. Pork lean (95%) 1050.0 g
0.5 lb. Pork (80%), fine ground 260.0 g
0.6 lb. Pork trimmings (40%) 275.0 g
� tsp. Cure #2 = 5.3 g

Pork lean = 997.5 gm
Pork = 208 gm
Pork trimmings = 110 gm

lean meat = 1315.5 gm

10.25% of 5.3 = 0.5433 gm

Saltpetre lean meat
1000 / 1315.5 * 0.5433 = 0.413 gm or 413 ppm mg/kg

or with fat

1000 / 1585 * 0.5433 = 0.343 gm or 343 ppm mg/kg

As for the starter culture this is the translation from babel fish for:

Bis zur Verwendung bei unter -15 C lagern!

It is:

store up to the use with under -15 C!

I take this to mean store under -15 C

Can't really help with the salami question as I'm in the middle of an experiment with fridge salami and won't know the outcome for a couple of weeks.

The accepted wisdom is to mature salami in an airy place at a temp of 50-60 F at a humidity of about 60%.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 am

50F = 10C, so most domestic fridges would be too cold wouldn't they?
aris
Site Admin

Postby markh » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks Oddley, glad I wasn't far off.

Looks like the best way to keep the Lactic Starter is in the Freezer then!

I am a bit confused by the relative effects of fermentation - which I gather lowers the pH of the sausage, making it more acidic and so more difficult for critters to multiply - and the drying which again seems to make it less habitable by lowering the water content.

Can you do one without the other?

Beacause you might expect the drying to be quicker in the fridge with the low humidity, while the fermentation would be slowed by both the temperature and dryness.

I guess I will have to wait for the results of your fridge experiments!
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:48 pm

The fermentation should be done before the maturation process. I did this by hanging the fresh stuffed salami in my kitchen at 80F, at a humidity of between 50-60%(it's supposed to be 80% humidity), for 24 hours. This should have completed the fermentation.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Beginners