sausage making on the cheap.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

sausage making on the cheap.

Postby ilovesausages » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:30 pm

hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me :lol:

me and my friend have been passionate about sausages for a long time and we've decided it'd be a good idea to start making our own! however before we spend lots of money on a mincer and things we want to do it cheaply to get a feel for the venture we are getting ourselves into :)

i was just wondering if instead of using the recipe:

80% Pork
2.5% Seasoning
6.5% Rusk
11% Water

which i saw in the beginners guide, and you had to mince the pork yourself, if it was possible to buy pork or lamb mince and use that instead? also what seasoning would you recommend to start with? finally, is rusk easily available in supermarkets? i've never looked and i'm not entirely sure what it is, and why it is essential to the sausage mix.

thanks ,
i love sausages
ilovesausages
Newly Registered

Postby Sausage Tattoo » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi there, this is my accomplice in the sausage making art.

We're just starting off with the basics at the moment like the recipe above but we soon hope to start inventing our own tasty sausages of all different flavours.

Any more tips for the beginners?

EDIT: I myself was also wondering how possible it was to blend any type of cheese into a sausage mix.
Smokey Valley 4 Life
Sausage Tattoo
Newly Registered

Re: sausage making on the cheap.

Postby othmar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:47 am

ilovesausages wrote:hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me :lol:

me and my friend have been passionate about sausages for a long time and we've decided it'd be a good idea to start making our own! however before we spend lots of money on a mincer and things we want to do it cheaply to get a feel for the venture we are getting ourselves into :)

i was just wondering if instead of using the recipe:

80% Pork
2.5% Seasoning
6.5% Rusk
11% Water

which i saw in the beginners guide, and you had to mince the pork yourself, if it was possible to buy pork or lamb mince and use that instead? also what seasoning would you recommend to start with? finally, is rusk easily available in supermarkets? i've never looked and i'm not entirely sure what it is, and why it is essential to the sausage mix.

thanks ,

You do not have to grind (mince) the meat , you can buy ready ground pork or beef in the butcher store. You not even need to stuff the sausages because you can make patties from the sausage mixture. You also can fill the sausage mixture in to a cake form and bake it like meatloaf and finally you can use said sausage mixture as a base for a meat sauce.

The advice I always give to "newcomers" to sausage making is; "Start out simple and get a feel of it and then as you advance and begin to like it you start buying the equipment and evolve."

you are absolutly right, why spend a lot of money on a lot of equipment only to find out you may like not all the efford that goes into making real sausages or being frustrated by it all.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:27 pm

I agree with othmar totally. You need nothing to start apart from a frying pan some preminced meat a spice mix and the will to do it.

There is no point in buying expensive equipment until you know you are going to carry on making sausages.

The link below will give a really good recipe for a Lincolnshire sausage (I made some at the weekend with this recipe). Make some burgers of it using preminced meat and see if you like it.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ncolnshire

Rusk is used to retain moisture in the form of fat and water in a sausage. Without it the sausage may be a bit dry. You don't have to use rusk I use breadcrumbs at 5% and water at the same weight as the breadcrumbs ( my own personal choice).

All you sausage making needs, are supplied at the shop the other part of this site. Including rusk.

http://www.sausagemaking.org/index.html

Don't take this as gospel, but I think you can use cheese up to about 7%.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby ilovesausages » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:23 pm

thanks for the imformative replies everyone :)

i'll get back to you on the experience after i've made some sausages :D
i love sausages
ilovesausages
Newly Registered

Postby othmar » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:46 am

ilovesausages wrote:thanks for the imformative replies everyone :)

i'll get back to you on the experience after i've made some sausages :D

I am looking forward to you sharing your sausage making experience with us and in the mean time have fun with it.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Beginners