Hi - new here, and curious

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Spuddy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:55 pm

The Lancashires look and sound great. I'm sure they'll taste good too.
Are the bags also from Franco?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Spuddy

Yes the bags are from Franco. I just sliced the gelatine and have vac packed it for freezing, double sealing the bag :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:05 pm

Paul,
looks like you've been very busy. I was wondering if you had eaten any of the pork yet, and if so, how it compares to what you've used before. Also what was the fat cover like? From the pics it looks as though it was about right.
I didn't realise the lambs come already split, takes away a bit of the enjoyment of butchering it.
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:28 pm

rehctub

Apart from sucking the meat from the knuckle which I put in the pot with 4 trotters, 2 ears, some bones and skin, to make the gelatine, I haven't actually eaten any produce from the pig yet (except the chinese ribs.. very tender..) comments from the wife were commendable.

The pig was on the lean side and was very young, I think Wayne said it was 16 weeks, and you tend to know if it is tender or not whilst processing it. I did note that the shoulder blade bone was very small to what I had been used to before, but that it didn't have lots of sinew and harsh connective tissue. I will definitely support this small holding again in the future.

Apparently with the lambs now, they don't even keep the heads due to some legislation. And they have to remove the spinal chord, makes you wonder where it will all end. I used to live in Peckham and there were a few butchers that used to have piles of sheep and goat heads for the ethnic community, so I wonder where they get their supplies from, bet it's not EU controlled :shock: Even so, the hardwood lintel with rings only cost a couple of quid to make cos I already had the wood. I may just hang the odd carcase in view of the veggies next door for a few minutes... might put some colour in their cheeks. LOL :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Paul,
sounds as though the pig wasn't exactly ideal for sausages, or am I wrong? they look fine in the pics.
As for buying a lamb, I have decided I need some extra freezer space what with the sausage making, so i'll have to delay it for now. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Spuddy

Regarding my remarks about the Reber vac packer, and how you have to be careful not to get the emulsifying cure on the bag in the area where it seals... I have now engaged my brain and found that if I turn down the top 2" of the bag prior to inserting the meat, the problem goes away and the top 2" is still clean, and once turned back up seals perfectly.. Think I should have sussed it a bit earlier :oops:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners