Hi - new here, and curious

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:18 am

Hiya Pete, welcome to the forum

Yep, Forge Farm is a bit of a trek out for me, and I would certainly be interested in a closer alternative. I know there are a few meat wholesalers in the Sevenoaks area. I have a friend who lives in Chelsfield and they were interested in acquiring a half pig, a lamb etc.
As you are no doubt aware, I have to drive very close to Polhill on my way to the abbatoir. There is the petrol issue going all the way to Southborough, but more importantly my Ford Mondeo is not refridgerated :wink: and it takes about 40 minutes to drive back, although the pork has remained quite cool, but it is still a hasty job to get it buthered and chilled down again in the fridge.

My wife has a Macro card and we use the one at Charlton. I find they are very good if you wish to acquire offal, and the meat cuts are also quite good.

I would much appreciate if you would give me the details of the farm. It may be worth posting them on this thread as others might be interested.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:59 am

Hi Paul, just need to remind you that it was last December when I found the farm, and the situation may have changed since then, so I apologise in advance if I've sent you on a wild goose :? chase.
Directions: Head towards Polhill, at the last roundabout before Polhill Garden Centre, take the first exit off and head towards Shoreham.
After a short drive you pass under a large road bridge M25?, just a little further on you will see the entrance to the farm on your right, hopefully with the notice board outside. Thats it, as I said things may have changed, but hopefully not, because I'm planning to give them a try myself. One more thing, watch out for the Rottweilers, :shock:
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:29 am

Pete

Thanks for the info, I've looked at a map and it looks to be in an area called Timberden Bottom. It's got to be worth a look just to cut down on the driving. Rottweillers eh! Will have to take my cleaver then, might save on the meat as well :shock:

I have fashioned a lintel arrangement with 4 rings bolted through, to hang the piggy on.. and it's in full view of the vegetarians.. :wink: The rings are from chromed 6mm steel so should handle it OK.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:59 am

Hi Paul, yes you've got the right place, the farm lies in the valley on the right hand side of the road going towards Shoreham, a bit of a ramshackle place if I remember right.
Your set up for splitting the carcasses looks pretty impressive, if you need any advice/help I'd be happy to oblige, but you would seem to be progressing well enough anyway. Good luck.
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:11 pm

Hi everyone, just realised what I did, posted in the middle of a current post, where I should have started a new one. :? Sorry, new to this.
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:31 pm

rehctub wrote:Hi everyone, just realised what I did, posted in the middle of a current post, where I should have started a new one. :? Sorry, new to this.

Don't worry Pete, you haven't hijacked the topic.
Your original post was on topic and as such you're contributing to the thread so it's OK.
:)

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:23 pm

rehctub

Pete

I have done some digging around and found the following:

Mr Banks
Whitegate Farm
Shacklands Road
Shoreham
Kent

phone 01959 534612

Think I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Last edited by Paul Kribs on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:03 am

I have edited the above post. I had got the wrong farm and the correct one, with correct phone number, is now shown.

The pigs are �1.98 per kilo, (90p per lb) and 2 weeks notice, and a deposit is required.

I have been down there and ordered a 1/2 pig for tuesday next (missed out on a whole one), very nice people. The names are Pauline and Wayne Banks.

@ Pete

The Rottwieller is a pussycat.. it's the Bull Mastiff you gotta watch, it's got a deeper voice than Barry White.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi Paul, thanks for the info, glad you had a result, let me know how it compares to what you've been using up until now. My wife went to Macro today and bought a load of pork, so I wont be needing any at the moment, but might look at buying a whole lamb soon.
Glad to hear you survived the guard dogs.
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Pete

They are award winning free range Large Whites, and both Wayne and Pauline are quite proud to show the rosettes. I for one don't mind paying the extra 20p per lb.. also, you get half the heart and half the liver as 'Freebies' (not weighed with the price) which you don't get from the abbatoir. They will butcher to your requirements within the cost of the pig. Unfortunately they come as sides so I don't get to use my hook and ring arrangement.. unless I get a lamb :wink:

I bet there's some meat on that bull mastiff.. it's bigger than the pigs.. :shock:

Although they only slaughter in small quantities, I think I will be using them often. Thanks for directing me to this supplier.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby rehctub » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:16 pm

Hello Paul,
sounds like a quality product. I'm definately going to give them a try.
Sorry you've been deprived of using your hooks and rings, maybe hanging baskets would look nice next spring. :D
Cheers, Pete L.
rehctub
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:11 pm

rehctub

Pete

I am seriously thinking of acquiring one of their lambs, in which case the 'rings' will suit their requirement.
They also do chicken eggs and duck eggs, so I can se me parting with a few sheckels very soon.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:07 pm

Just an update. Have acquired my 1/2 pig and processed most of it now.
I sheet boned the ribs and took them off at the spine, giving very long ribs. They were marinated overnight in a chinese marinade and have been slow cooked are currently sitting on a bed of noodles. BTW, the dish is almost 2 ft long.. shows the length of the ribs.

Also curing 2 bits of the belly and the collar in the Organic cure with added smoke powder.

Also got the boned leg sitting in a brine mix in the fridge (Franco's English Ham recipe), along with 2 kilos of Lancashire sausages (the dark ones) and 2 kilos of Classic Pork Seasoning, which I am testing for Franco. Both batches were stuffed into sheeps casings.

Also got a few bits which I have frozen, rolled loin joints, tenderloin, rolled rump. The half head has been frozen, but the trotters and ear (and some I already had) have been simmered down for use as gelatine, which begs the question "is it OK to freeze gelatine and will it still work once thawed?" Next time I buy a 1/2 pig I will used the 2 head parts for brawn.
It was my initial intention to use more of this beast for sausages, but whilst butchering it, it was apparent that this is a very tender piece of pork so only made the 4 kilos.

BTW, have ordered a lamb.. Still won't get to use my hooks cos apparently the spinal chord has to be removed at the abbatoir :?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Yes you can freeze gelatine. When it defrosts it will have gone grainy but resumes it's normal qualities if you melt it again and allow it to re-set.

Have you got a vac packer? I notice your bacons are vac packed and it looks like a proper commercial type seal on those bags. I'm in the market for a new one and could do with something a bit more "pro" than the one I have now. Is it one of Franco's?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Spuddy

Thanks for the good news regarding the gelatine.

Yep, treated myself to one of Franco's Reber vacuum packers. They do the job very well. However, I have found you must be very careful when putting the cured bacon into the bag. The bacon starts to emulsify pretty much straight away and the vac packer doesn't like the wetness when it tries to seal. I wipe any residue away and dry it before putting it onto the machine. Today I decided to vac pack and seal, and then after drying the inner lips, move the bag down about 1/4" and reseal again so you have 2 seals.. We shall see.

BTW, those darker Lancashire sausages were made using Franco's traditional breadcrumb mix with 1/2 kg of finely chopped black pudding. Should taste OK.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners